Throw line and throw weights and techniques

Adam Bourne

I am using Zing it with a 10 and 8 oz bag in a stein cube. For access I just throw a line in and base tie it, its normally over loads of branches and some do sometimes snap but im always backed up by more. Often the case also is that ill throw a line clean over the top of a tree then walk one end of the line (whatevers easiest) back down centre of the tree and base tie again. never do i bother isolating branches im not that patient :001_rolleyes: works for me SRT ascent everytime useless its easier to freeclimb up the middle :)

like it, no messing about

TBH, the falteimer cubes are pricey because they are made so well....could last a career if the dog doesn't eat it or Lefty Loose Hand doesn't nip it....I had three ( please don't ask why )....sold one in a gear package deal...the other two get some action though my number 1 mostly unless setting multiple lines....the things are truly worth the money...not overpriced IMHO....and those hard on gear better shell out...I will not dis the Stein cube, but it is not a falteimer.....

I am using Zing it with a 10 and 8 oz bag in a stein cube. For access I just throw a line in and base tie it, its normally over loads of branches and some do sometimes snap but im always backed up by more. Often the case also is that ill throw a line clean over the top of a tree then walk one end of the line (whatevers easiest) back down centre of the tree and base tie again. never do i bother isolating branches im not that patient :001_rolleyes: works for me SRT ascent everytime useless its easier to freeclimb up the middle :)

Arran mate I sorta think thats overly invasive and not really best practise bro. i think if your using srt you should always isolate unions. If not for the trees health ,for your own. If a branch snaps you could be facing a shockload on your system.

if that happens on my ascenders it won't be pretty. normally my lines are set and isolated within the first ten min it only takes an extra min max.

maybe its just me but i try to not snap any branches when I'm doing a deadwood or prune.

STEIN TEKICHU c/w poles | Arborist.ie

Bought this today. Made getting throw line up a doddle!

Highly recommended

I was lucky enough to win 1 in this year's raffle and think it's excellent and find it has a lot of advantages over a bigshot in that it packs away much neater but I did have to do a temporary modification with some tape to stop the rubber flying out the hooks every time I took a shot. For high shots it's really made things more accurate and a lot less frustrating apart from 1st shot into a big cedar which sailed perfectly over the branch I wanted returned without problems to the ground only to find my climbing rope was about 5m too short once I'd pulled it up :mad:

Arran mate I sorta think thats overly invasive and not really best practise bro. i think if your using srt you should always isolate unions. If not for the trees health ,for your own. If a branch snaps you could be facing a shockload on your system.

if that happens on my ascenders it won't be pretty. normally my lines are set and isolated within the first ten min it only takes an extra min max.

maybe its just me but i try to not snap any branches when I'm doing a deadwood or prune.

On prunes I am more careful for sure, as regards to branches snapping normal they will do it when I'm on the ground as I step through on the pantin to get the slack out the system just before ascent. And are often very small branches or dead ones but it doesn't happen everyday. interesting how different people work :)