Throw line and throw weights and techniques

Adam Bourne

As boring as it may sound but we really don't have enough information or techniques on the subject of what I'd call a very important part of a climbers bag of tricks.

So who uses them?

What line and weights are you using?

What style throw do you practice?

Are there many big shot fans?

How are you connecting the throw line and weight together?

Are you accurate?

And do you carry more than one?

There's probably loads of other questions I haven't thought of, so a nice compilation on the art of throw bagging from climbers around the world should at least give an insight into the subject for beginners and pros alike :)

I'll add all mine soon but feel free to add yours right below here :)

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Good thread Adam.

I'll be following this with interest, since I rarely use a throw line. 20' ladders then ALT to the top works nicely for me most of the time. However this means that on the occasion that I try to use a throw line, I'm so out of practice it's painful.

I use a big shot where possible, my throwing is pants. Stein cube (heavily mended), slightly less than 50m throw line (snapped it twice trying to free a stuck bag), and a 12oz and 16oz back on either end, connected by either an anchor knot or bowline.

Got all the gear, but no idea :)

• Like 1

I agree good thread Adam,

I also rarely use a thrownline as I stick the ladder up, but wouldn't be without it as when its needed it saves so much time and effort and I always say I should use it more often but for some reason never do. I use a stein cube, zing it line and 12oz stein bag attached with a bowline And big shot for the high shots.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

My throwlining is horrendous. I make every effort if its a particularly large tree but usually end up getting fustrated and sticking the ladder up anyway. I do find them particularly useful for getting the odd hanger out though.

I have a 10oz bag and also a throwpod. Currently have the petzl line which I really don't get on with at all.

Stein Cube, Zing-It Line, 10 & 12 oz weights on either end. A lot of my climbing is out in the woods along footpaths where you want to carry as little as possible so the ladder option is often impractical and I have to rely on the throw line. Normally I use the Big Shot as I find it so much more accurate than throwing, along with having the distance/height. If I'm throwing by hand I normally swing it in a pendulum with my right hand, but find I'm favouring the "cradle" between the legs held with both hands more these days - greater accuracy and height.

Throw line and Big Shot also very useful for pulling out hangers and putting a rope into a tree for winching it over. :thumbup1:

I use 12oz to 16 0z and would not use anything lighter , nothing more frustrating than spending 5 mins getting a nice high target then the bag won't come back down !

Will cradle between legs and throw for high stuff , under arm swing for real low and the big shot comes out for the hard and high ones if you need to really punch through a canopy.

Been using New England dynaglide for a long time ,find its suppleness an advantage you either love it or hate that quality in a throw line though.

Stein cube. 12,16oz throwbags. Dynaglide line. Normally use the one hand throwing and if it's particularly tricky get the big shot out. Normally know when your gonna struggle to get a target after a couple of goes. Switch to the big shot then because there is no point getting frustrsted. Anchor hitch to tie on bags.

I use a RopeKnight from a BigShot.

My throwing is awful but when I do I use the cradle between the legs method an the one arm swing methods. A successful throw makes me think I'm getting better then the next throw lands behind me.

I also have a 12oz bag for emergencies.

I made a BigShot launcher with a windsurf mast and archery trigger which is excellent. Photos are in another thread.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

falteimer and Sherrill cubes, the falteimer is at least 8 years old and still going strong, Harrison rockets x4 and a heavy weaver, liros slick line and a zingit used mainly for pulling friction savers out. throw cradle anywhere in the top of the tree, not too fussy, so saves getting stressed trying to get that perfect AP