Legal but dangerous.

Woodworks

Had similar in my v8 auto disco- in low box with diff lock on, went up the steep road to our woods with the trailer and 2.5 tonnes of cord, hit a slightly damp bit, and completely lost traction. All 4 wheels spinning, smoke coming out the lot, plus then started slipping backwards down the hill, still with all spinning. Just had to hope nobody was coming up, and aim to cut the hedge all the way back down. Several minutes later, we hit the bottom, having given the hedge a good trim. Not an experience i want to repeat. All trailers go up behind out jcb telehandler now!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beau, iv had this happen a few times, the overrun brakes don't work efficiently going backwards- if at all. I tow a 3 ton digger round and always have it in low range, but I know what you mean it can be a bit buttock clenching at times!

Fine going forwards- not so funny when you have to have to stop on a hill. I always have about 300kg of weight in the back off the landrover which helps traction a lot but a 90 is that much lighter still.

Sounds like this is quite a common problem and what happened to me was pretty mild in comparison with others experiences. It would not have been such a big issue apart from the cars passing as it was reasonably grippy in the middle of the lane.

Any ways to improve matters? Let some air out the tyres?

Sounds like this is quite a common problem and what happened to me was pretty mild in comparison with others experiences. It would not have been such a big issue apart from the cars passing as it was reasonably grippy in the middle of the lane.

Any ways to improve matters? Let some air out the tyres?

For traction, let the air out, but I run my rear tyres as firm as possible for stability after a bit of snaking on the motorway when a cow went over in the livestock trailer.

.... my 'sole is still going sixpence halfcrown, and that was three months ago

Missed gear change from 2nd to first in hi-range up steep hill with heavy trailer full of rings, slowed down so went for low range and started getting dragged back! Found a gear and locked centre diff while picking up speed backward, brakes were not helping so opened the throttle and slowly slowed down, stopped with tyres smoking and squealing, it started creeping forward and made it up fine. It's a hill I drive up regular with heavy trailers. Now I make sure I'm in low range mid revs all the way from the bottom, with weight in the tow motor. Scary stuff but planned for lessens the risk.

Are trailers in the UK illegal with electric breaks?. Standard fare this part of the world. Flat country for the most part where I live and in the past I would on a weekly basis pull 32-36' trailers.

Usuall GVW any where from 14 to 18 K. I could not begin to comprehend pulling any of my trailers with out electric breaks. The OP'S thread reads like he may have been over loaded and weather conditions were also working against him as well. My policy has always been never to travel in rainy conditions. Far to many idiots behind the wheel ready willing and able to cause an accident or Two and never give a Second thought.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy
Spelling