Let It Run (Rigging)

scotspine1

Someone was talking about letting pieces run to absorb the shock in another thread. Its not easy, takes a lot of experience of judging weights, forces, knowing your equipment and a good set of thick rigging gloves.

Someone also said in the other thread to make the pieces smaller if you in doubt of the groundie's ability to control the rope running through the lowering device.

The pieces in this vid were all taken small for that reason. In the first set it was a trainee groundie's first attempt at using a Portawrap (Buckingham), he was being guided by an experienced climber on the ground. Overall the results were pretty good.

In the second set it was an experienced climber (Martyn1) doing the lowering. But it was the first time I'd worked with him so everything was rigged out small. Dont know how other people work, but I always tell the groundie how many wraps to put on the Portawrap.

Think some of you've seen this footage before, anyway, hope it helps -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7ZzIgT6xQ]YouTube - Let it run[/ame]

ps, check out Reg Coates Youtube videos for good examples of rigging.

YouTube - Recoates's Channel

Edited by scotspine1

Its good when your learning at "letting it run" like me,when your told how many wraps to take,Ive been caught out when the rope(s) is covered in sap,but I guess we all have that problem.

yeah another thing is to always make sure the kinks are out of the rope always keep the rope in bag and make sure there is no twigs in the way that can get snagged in rope.

Excellent point, a knot, twist or a twig can cause a lot of pain if it runs thru your hands, as well as jam in the ptw.

• 2 weeks later...