short fence labour what to charge?

onyx landscaping/fencing

At the moment, its a minimum of a days labour (by the time you add in visit, getting materials, clearing, burning, invoicing etc). Unless you have something else locally you can jump on to. Post fix goes off quick enough to work on and board up in a few hours (as long as its not very windy)

That's why we don't use labourers prefer to pay higher for higher skilled, motivated individuals. nothing you cant really do on your own

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£70 a day seems a lot per metre! Do you get much work at this rate. That's one hell of a days money. If you base that on 30m a day, Materials £17.50/m. That would mean you clear approx £1475/day even if you paid a labourer £100. I want some work where you are!!

You wont get 30meters up in a day

When people say charge a day rate I wonder what exactly how much you charge a day, are you one man band with very low overheads or a small company? I am a small company, I have finance payments to make on my stump grinder, I have insurance on tools, chipper, trailers, tractor. I have a decent lifestyle so pay my self a decent wage to reward myself for the hours I put into this game. I do a bit of fencing and charge my normal rate to do the job. Why charge less if you have overheads to meet? I have priced a 8m in length conny hedge removal and stumps and then fence instal, 4x4 posts, rails and vertical boards with 5cm spacing. £750 take it or leave it. It will be done right.

You can, did it last week in the pouring rain. And the week before started at 9am done by half 2. 34m two men posts and railed two pailing wanted to get home from Portsmouth. Even so at those rates I would be happy with 20m a day.

id rather take my time and enjoy my work! 30m I price for 2 men for to days. first day clear site,dig holes, concrete posts in, gravel boards on. seconed day rail and board up leaving plenty of time to chat with the customer and drink tea

I had some panels blow down over christmas. I am a bit handy so put in 4 posts in and three new, good quality panels. Its nice and firm and I was quite pleased.

The other fence, which belongs to the neighbour blew down 2 weeks ago. They wanted it done 'professionally' so got someone in.

I can move their 3" posts about 6" at the top with no effort at all, and the post holes are still about 6" below ground level and the panels look rubbish compared to mine.

I wonder if they accepted the cheapest quote?