New billhook

Jimbob87

Don't be put off by the fact that it's a modern day "internet sensation" with townies hacking up tin cans, twigs in their garden (or someone elses!), and cutting the bark off trees, the Fiskars X3 is a serious tool.

Was in my local B&Q last Autumn and seen they had a couple of them in, checked that they were the genuine Finnish ones, had a wee feel at one of them, gave it a swing or two, and decided to purchase.

Obviously it'll take many many years for it to show it's durability but it is very good, very light, takes an edge and keeps it longer than anything I've used since I was a young fella. If you want to be able to walk in to a shop and buy something new, good, and usable I doubt there's anything else out there to compare, it's certainly way above the Bulldog stuff (sadly!).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just make sure you get one with a tang right through the handle. Yes the old one are good, if they're still around now then they've stood the test of time. I got a lovely Berkshire pattern one on Ebay, but obviously you can't handle it 'till it arrives. Sharpening properly is essential, also polishing the blade makes it easier to work with..

Cheers,,,,,Dan

re sharpening them as other posts use a flat chain saw file and a wet stone to bring it up i use a peddle wet stone and that makes a cracking job of my tools. but for them to cut the shoulder needs taken off as it digs in without sholder just slips in. hampshire tenderden patterns are good and medips is a good elwell.

Is there enough weight in it for cutting pleachers and also strength for giving them a twist? I'd guess it's probably ok for trimming brush etc.

Well that all depends on your arm doesn't it. There's always a trade off between weight and cutting ability as diameters increase and what one man finds ideal, another will find weighty and unmanageable, or light and ineffective.

Strength wouldn't be an issue but it is very thin and very light, the handle is long and it keeps an excellent edge so it's more a cutter than a hacker but after a few minutes to get used to being different I love it.

All the old billhooks/slashers have sat unused in the corner since I got the Fiskars