Tomograph's

Treefitter

I have the need for a couple of trees to be examined. I started checking around locally as to how much this would cost. The costs vary considerably and so does the time span. So this has got me thinking! How many others have need for for the scans but do not want to pay through the nose? Would there be any milage in some sort of co-operative of use? What are your opinions?

Costs of machines are £12k or £7K !!!:tee:

I think here would be a great opportunity to post a collective pictoral assessment of the readings of various machines.

This would give all the non users an idea of whats out there in terms of invasive/non invasive technology and their abilities toward helping to read the overall story of a trees health.

I personally think with experience, a good sounding with a nylon/rubber hammer is a pretty damn good tool.

Dont go playing "Moby Dick" on tree trunks, like an over enthusiastic young surveyer did on a recent PTI course at merrist wood. ( Poor old Tree thought it was at a rehearsal for the the 02 gig ) I thought Jon Bonham was back in town :scared:

Lets see your Pictures/Diagrams/Readings

I think here would be a great opportunity to post a collective pictoral assessment of the readings of various machines.

This would give all the non users an idea of whats out there in terms of invasive/non invasive technology and their abilities toward helping to read the overall story of a trees health.

I personally think with experience, a good sounding with a nylon/rubber hammer is a pretty damn good tool.

Dont go playing "Moby Dick" on tree trunks, like an over enthusiastic young surveyer did on a recent PTI course at merrist wood. ( Poor old Tree thought it was at a rehearsal for the the 02 gig ) I thought Jon Bonham was back in town :scared:

Lets see your Pictures/Diagrams/Readings

Rubber hammers are ok , but not good unless the tree is actualy hollow, hollow trees are fairly rare going on my surveying experience, you're much more likely to find a tree in the proccess of decay.

There are no non invasive decay detectors on the market as far as I know, even the picus is classed as invasive.

How many others have need for for the scans but do not want to pay through the nose? Would there be any milage in some sort of co-operative of use?

I know of three Picus' in Scotland, I just cant imagine there being that much demand for their use. I've seen them marketed as an instrument that can tell you wether your tree is safe or not. This could lead the client into a false sense of security. But the guys who have them are desperate to put them to use as they have payed out a fortune, and need to recoup their money.

There is so much more that has to be taken into consideration when dealing with a tree's safety.

Targets, visible structural weaknesses, decay fungi?, soil, growth habit, foliage, shape of crown, history of branch failure?, tree species, ground disturbance etc.

The Picus is only good for investigation the extent of suspected decay. Its a good tool for further investigation if you have the knowledge to apply the readings constructively. Which you probably do, but many people dont.

I have heard of co-operative use, and Picus owners sub contracting themselves out as someone who can get you the readings you require. Expensive.....how much is the client willing to pay?

Rubber hammers are ok , but not good unless the tree is actualy hollow, hollow trees are fairly rare going on my surveying experience, you're much more likely to find a tree in the proccess of decay.

Roller, we based this Pop take down on sounding.

It has to be said that there were fresh and old Gano brackets adjacent to the decay,

but this is pretty much what we thought we would find, in terms of extent and spread.

Trunk was very sound from above two feet and upwards, as with most Basal decays.

PC210005.jpg.acf8cf59202d727a419dadeacc404b45.jpg

Exactly - I know that one mallet expert (forget his name) runs a one day course on using a mallet to estimate decay.

Apparently he used to be a piano tuner though so has an exceptional ear!

He sounds like a very usefull fellow,any chance you could find his contact details,that one course I would happily pay for.