Suitable species for an existing hedge?

SteamedTomatoes

Hi,

I'm currently laying a hedge at the end of my garden. When my dad planted it he wasn't really thinking ahead, and so it's very close to a fence (less than half a foot away), and then a year or so later he trimmed it only a few inches above ground level, so a lot of the plants have two branches starting just above the ground.

Anyway, there are gaps in it both where some plants outgrew others, blackthorn died, where he cut out the birch trees, and where I'm cutting out some large field maples. (Oh, and also a few where I had, uh... 'learning experiences')

I'd like to plant some saplings both in these gaps and along some of the other parts of the hedge, and I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on what species would be best.

Currently the hedge contains:

Hawthorn

Hazel

Blackthorn

Dog rose (in small amounts)

Beech

Field maple (A lot of which I'm having to coppice because of size)

One spindle tree which I will not be laying

One Rowan ash which I will also not be laying

Holly (Which I'm cutting out)

Guelder rose

I think I've got everything in there...

The hedge is in Kent, so I don't know whether that might affect which native species would be best. It also borders a field with horses in, who are so far enjoying pulling apart my work.

One last question; How should I plant the saplings? Where there are gaps, I assume planting them about a foot away from the fence in a zig-zag pattern is best? As for where I've already laid the hedge, should I attempt to shove them inside the hedge, or would it be better to stick them in the edge, away from the fence?

I'd appreciate any tips on this, and I can provide photos if necessary.

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses so far.

you say you have holly lay it makes a good hedge. most things are good laying. if you have photos may be able to give a better awnser to your qestions. spindleberry lays brill. do not cut much out as some of it may fill the gaps you have and againts fence will lay ok

Regarding the holly, my dad has specified he wants it removed, so that's what I'm doing. Personally I'd lay a few bits of it where the hedge is very thin, but it's his hedge. I'll grab some photos in the morning if I can. Regarding the spindle, I've asked my tutor at college about whether or not to lay it, and came to the decision not to since I'm relatively inexperienced and there's currently only one in the hedge. Thanks for the tips though, I'd follow them if it was up to me.

Something I missed out in the original post; When I plant the new saplings in the hedge, how should I go about doing it? Do I plant them and then lay the next bit of hedge around them, or is there some specific way to do it where there is existing material?