Weigh Bridge facts

Llenya

Our council one allows for a loaded and a tare in the fee. Also if you don't ask for a printed ticket the lady just waves you off after telling you the gross.

Rod it looks like they have rebuilt the one at Handcross on the A23, it was free before, otherwise one skip firm in a local village lets you drive on the weighbridge and view the weight through the window.

Andrew

I have been down to fairalls with a tractor and grain trailer a few times, the weighbridge has a readout on a display, so you can just stop and check your weight, but I always feel I have to go and buy something, got several pick handles, probably costing me more!

Rod

Hi £12.00 inc vat here If you are going to sell by wieght you would have to supply weigh ticket with every load or you are going to have trouble with trading standards.I don t think customers would pay the extra or want green oak and beech as they are the heaviest.

Volume is best multiples of 1 metres then every one can compare easily.

Cheers big chris Pembrokeshire.

we recently did an excercise of weighing our truck carrying two cube of seasoned hardwood it was 750kg for two cube on our transit so we could not legally carry three cube as overweight.. when greenacube is 500kg

selling by weight is silly as youd pay for water not wood

we measure all our firewood in cubic metre drying nets not a guess of how many bucket loads or looks right

volume is the way forward

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Joy Yeomans

Is firewood supply not regulated in the UK, similar to Oil and Gas whereby detailed receipts of weight or volume are issued at the time of delivery?

I am not being contentious here, I just wish to know what is accepted, permitted or expected.

Best Regards

Stephen

I did an "Ignite" course on Firewood production a couple of years ago and was told that a registration scheme (possibly EU wide?) was being set up so firewood suppliers could display a badge/symbol which meant the firewood was at or below a certain moisture content, accurately measured volume etc etc....ie met certain criteria.

Never come across anything to do with it since though, anyone else?

Thank you all, so far, for your replies.

I can see that there are many complications involved because the UK system is not regulated.

I am not one for State Regulation,( insofar that the firewood industry might be able to regulate itself)

Also there are operators here, on this website, who have no focus, (or ideas), as to how the "End Customer" might perceive their product! I find this astonishing that Firewood Providers, (who post on this website) , seem to dwell on their profit margins in comparison with other website contributers...instead of making use of the website to "Rally Forces" to promote a system whereby everyone can benefit!

You guys have a website here where everyone has an opportunity to safeguard yourselves from outside competition, a means of making and meeting ´like minded people´and yet you seem to make it into a competition of "who´s got the biggist D**K!

So........do you tell your "new customer" that you have a good product, (and be able to quote him/her M3/Tonnes MoistureContent etc, OR do you hoodwink him or her into buying so that you can make your profit margin?

I´m beginning to recognise that some folk here on this website do not consider that, no matter how hard they work, (and we recognise it is hard work), when it comes to selling...please consider the customer and their "new" needs!

Millions of euros have gone into developing household stoves. Everyone who buys a stove is locked into 10 years of buying your firewood. Consider and listen to your customer.

Obviously I have much more to say on the matter of firewood but for now I´ll keep it short.

S

I did an "Ignite" course on Firewood production a couple of years ago and was told that a registration scheme (possibly EU wide?) was being set up so firewood suppliers could display a badge/symbol which meant the firewood was at or below a certain moisture content, accurately measured volume etc etc....ie met certain criteria.

Never come across anything to do with it since though, anyone else?

I would imagine that the reason that has died is because they cant always guarantee that the wood (unless it is always kiln dried) IS under a certain moisture content. I always do my best to make sure my wood is all under 25%mc and prefer it to be under 20%, but you might get an odd piece which is not, therefore, would you lose the certification? Who is going to come and verify it? it might me dry this year, but will next years be dry? Another jobs for the boys scheme which just wont work without increasing the cost of firewood because of certification, and the customer doesnt want to keep paying more per cube.

I don't think selling by weight is going to work.

Every species of wood has a different dry weight for a given volume. How dry one can get their logs will vary by region due to outside relative RH. Many log sellers are small outfits so requiring expensive weighing equipment would prove costly. Going to a weigh bridge with each load would add 10 miles to every delivery for me so never going to happen. There so many variables that it sound unworkable.

We sell by volume with a picture of our load with dimensions and give an expected moisture content for the logs. Customers can vote with there feet and do. It's not like logs are one off purchase for them so they shop around until they are happy with what they get.

Llenya. Don't be too hasty judging the Arbtalk members. Yes there are some "who´s got the biggist D**K!" threads but there is loads of good information on here. I joined a few years back and have learned loads from lots of knowledgeable members.

Beau

I don't think selling by weight is going to work.

Every species of wood has a different dry weight for a given volume. How dry one can get their logs will vary by region due to outside relative RH. Many log sellers are small outfits so requiring expensive weighing equipment would prove costly. Going to a weigh bridge with each load would add 10 miles to every delivery for me so never going to happen. There so many variables that it sound unworkable.

We sell by volume with a picture of our load with dimensions and give an expected moisture content for the logs. Customers can vote with there feet

Beau

I am surprised weights and measures have not poked their unwanted nose into the log industry . At the end of the day it is a sale to the public be it by volume or weight and in their eyes would need some form of regulation. God help us.

Bob

Bob