stress

Self employment (I went back to being in 2008 after redundancy) is I have to say for me anyway, truly horrendous in stress terms. The first holiday I took in '08 gave me panic attacks - something I'd never experienced before and I can only assume were based on financial fears; the skipper leaving the boat as it were. I've never had a good nights sleep since. I know my reputation as the prophet of doom on here is alive and well! The physical manifestations of just these 7+ years of heartache and dis-stress have made my Wife and I decide that unless something changes by Christmas this year, we're packing it in. Ok, so I've acquired some assets but never a living wage and on parting with said assets they don't add up to what could have been earnt and saved stacking shelves in Tesco during the same time! I have no idea what else I'll do if we do call it a day but atleast I won't be able to loose money as can occur frequently in forestry contracting. Of course I don't want to give it up but as I said my health has gone from being sporty and healthy to one of immune system anihilation, rashes, skin disorders, cancer and so on and it affects your relationships, marriage and everything.

In summary, an important observation would be this: don't go self employed doing tree work if you love tree work but hate running a business or are hopeless with money. Unfortunately, you have to be a hard-nosed businessman above and beyond everything else. Those that say they love the work more than the rewards but are demonstrating a well-oiled business are still canny enough to make it work.

My mental health has taken a battering and I've probabty been pretty close to a full-on breakdown a few times now; just scraping through with a last minute reprieve. Even the "S" word has cropped up a few times; thankfully I've not taken it seriously nor am planning on doing. But it does crop up.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Self employment (I went back to being in 2008 after redundancy) is I have to say for me anyway, truly horrendous in stress terms. The first holiday I took in '08 gave me panic attacks - something I'd never experienced before and I can only assume were based on financial fears; the skipper leaving the boat as it were. I've never had a good nights sleep since. I know my reputation as the prophet of doom on here is alive and well! The physical manifestations of just these 7+ years of heartache and dis-stress have made my Wife and I decide that unless something changes by Christmas this year, we're packing it in. Ok, so I've acquired some assets but never a living wage and on parting with said assets they don't add up to what could have been earnt and saved stacking shelves in Tesco during the same time! I have no idea what else I'll do if we do call it a day but atleast I won't be able to loose money as can occur frequently in forestry contracting. Of course I don't want to give it up but as I said my health has gone from being sporty and healthy to one of immune system anihilation, rashes, skin disorders, cancer and so on and it affects your relationships, marriage and everything.

In summary, an important observation would be this: don't go self employed doing tree work if you love tree work but hate running a business or are hopeless with money. Unfortunately, you have to be a hard-nosed businessman above and beyond everything else. Those that say they love the work more than the rewards but are demonstrating a well-oiled business are still canny enough to make it work.

My mental health has taken a battering and I've probabty been pretty close to a full-on breakdown a few times now; just scraping through with a last minute reprieve. Even the "S" word has cropped up a few times; thankfully I've not taken it seriously nor am planning on doing. But it does crop up.

Very sad to read this , wishing you strength for future decisions.

Depression is such a horrible illness that more people suffer from than u think!!

I have battled with chronic depression (dysthymia) for the best part of 20 years. I find mindfulness meditation a huge help, it gives you the mental space and perspective to carry on.

Mindfulness is becoming more and more recognised and there are plenty of books you can read. The one I have found most useful is 'The Happiness Trap' by a chap called Russ Harris.

Best of luck TCD. Don't let it beat you:001_smile:

Hello bud I feel bad not catching up with you on Friday stay strong there

And we can catch up tomorrow

Hi john I wish you all the best john mate thanks I will pm you mate thanks Jon

Hey timbercutterdartmoor,It takes a very brave person too write about such personal issues on a public thread.i have the greatest respect for you and its a very great and selfless thing you have done.No doubt it will help others recognise some of the symptoms in themselves.Keep positive m8 were all here for you if you need it.Im sorry i dont have the proper vocabulary to say what id like to say.

All the very best to you,keep sharing with us