Good bye woodmizer hello Timberking

Coed y Cardi

I think that I must just be a lazy barsteward, not working as hard as the rest of you!

I must admit that I'm more than happy with a day where I cut 100 cubic foot/3 cubic metres of planking grade hardwood (I would cut more with softwood so long as it wasn't dimensioned). I'd rather cut slowly and well than quickly and badly.

Related to the debarker, can I recommend to all sawmillers to get a good pressure washer? Having previously had a debarker on the Woodmizer and not having one now on the Logmaster, I can tell you a pressure washer wins hands down. £400 plus VAT got me a 3000psi 5.5hp machine that near enough strips the bark. A debarker can never remove as much much and costs three times as much, as well as sapping power from the machine. Very impressed!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be something wrong with my engine! I'll go through 30 litres a day no probs and that shutting the revs when ever possible! Do you think I can tune it up some how?

Could be simple things like non genuine air filter or running slightly rich. Choke not fully off. poor spark plug even top quality fully synthetic eng oil may be worth a try. Changing blades more often is worth while if it saves you £15 a day on fuel.

There must be something wrong with my engine! I'll go through 30 litres a day no probs and that shutting the revs when ever possible! Do you think I can tune it up some how?

I am running a TK2000, and even though it is hard to give you a exact figure I am only using aprox 15/20l petrol a day.

Will always depend on what size timber you are cutting to. Am mostly on beaming sw and oak.

But restyle been milling loads 16mm cladding and also don't find the petrol consumption too high.

The manual throttle is a pain, but I don't bother throttling back any more whilst cutting a log or loading logs I have close to Sawbench.

I am running a electric debarked and on skidded timber works really well. Machine harvested sw comming in clean so don't bother then.

Overall been pleased with my TK, any thing that has broken worn have been able to get mostly from local bearing shop. If TK would just do a few small modifications they would have a super practical mill.

Glad to hear theirs another TK owner in Wales.

David

I'll check the engine over on the weekend to see if I'm missing something? I've put an extra £30 on my days contract milling to cover the fuel cost!

I resawed 60 in no 10"x5" softwood sleepers into 10"x1 1/2" boards last Thursday on one tankful of fuel I was happy with that!

I'll check the engine over on the weekend to see if I'm missing something? I've put an extra £30 on my days contract milling to cover the fuel cost!

I resawed 60 in no 10"x5" softwood sleepers into 10"x1 1/2" boards last Thursday on one tankful of fuel I was happy with that!

That is a hell of a lot of fuel for 120 cuts (though I don't know what length they are). Would be worth having a proper look at it as 0.25l per cut is going to work out very expensive in the long run.

That is a hell of a lot of fuel for 120 cuts (though I don't know what length they are). Would be worth having a proper look at it as 0.25l per cut is going to work out very expensive in the long run.

Dam when you say it like that it is! But I'll feel better if I look at it like this, one tank full to cut 166 cubic foot!

Out of interest what is the total length of your Logmaster?

I suppose when you put it as 166 cube it doesn't sound so bad. Today and yesterday I cut 52 cube of Elm, 25 cube Douglas Fir and 106 cube spalted beech. All cut slowly and carefully (I tend to cut slowly as even a sharp band won't be quite as true when pushed very hard). That was done on 25 litres of petrol, and would have been about 15 litres had I not been going slow. Only two bands too, and the second one is still roaring along after 120 cube.

Total length of the Logmaster is 37.5ft, width 8.5ft and height 11ft. Weight, 2.8t.

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

A few weeks ago I was very close to ordering a Norwood HD36, but in another thread comments suggested a woodmizer might be more substantial for the money once fully hydraulic.

Last week I was very close to ordering a woodmizer, just hanging on to sort out the cash for it, and was offered an 11% discount if I order by this week coming.

Now I have discovered this discussion, and both timberking and logmaster seem to blow woodmizer out of the water. I realise this is an old thread, but if it's possible to import a logmaster for £21k, that's hands down cheaper than woodmizer, even after the discount.

The timberking and logmaster look fairly similar, but price wise the logmaster seems much cheaper, and from this discussion may run on a lot less fuel.

Anyway, anything is going to be quicker and easier than my Logosol M8 Alaskan combo, so I probably won't look back either way.

Sadly Logmaster are no longer in the business of making mills, though I would heartily recommend looking for a good second hand one. If you speak to Ed at Logmaster, he is happy to find you a good used Logmaster mill. The only issues I've had with mine relate to the engine (Kohler 38hp V-twin, which I wouldn't recommend) and it's been worked pretty hard.