How much wood do you use at home

richardwale

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 rads and under floor heating in the kitchen with a regular sized bath.

It will do a lot more, it still simmers if you have full draft on.

1.2m3 is very economical per month,heard of someone with underfloor off their stove but don't know how good it is, how you finding it? Is your stove running 24/7?

i burn a large wheel barrow load of logs a day. so probably just under a cube a week i would of thought.

heating a 2 bed cottage and the burner (woodwarm= excellent) in the kitchen does the hot water.

used to have a real old wood burner in the living room that was brill, would heat the whole house. landlord replaced it with a small stovax and it is pants, the heat doesnt seem to leave the room.

o and there is no central heating. was a bugger last year when we had all the snow..

water froze, couldn't use the log burner in living room as it was leaking smoke into next doors. couldnt use one in the kitchen as we had no water so didnt want to damage it as it has a back boiler. made for a cold and miserable couple of weeks.

Edited by markieg31

1.2m3 is very economical per month,heard of someone with underfloor off their stove but don't know how good it is, how you finding it? Is your stove running 24/7?

Yes, it gets nothing but the finest selected bone dry hardwoods and a hand full of coal eggs to make sure it stays in over night. Its on low most of the day time when no one is in.

consumption doubled over xmas when we were around more but that might have something to do with my pyromaniac tendencies.

I was put off the under floor by "experts" specifying systems that would mean chopping the entire floor up laying insulation and special pipes. They issued threats of dire consequences if not done to their specification. Well I can tell you, no insulation and the hep20 plastic is laid directly into a screed. I will eat my words if it leaks but for now its fine.

The under floor runs best when the pump runs but at night it shuts down on the stat and the system circulates thermally so it starves the under floor because its lower than the heat exchanger.

Thats a huge one man carbon footprint for you Tony:001_tt2:

I'm burning more than him and the theoretical carbon footprint is zero. The wood is from trees I planted. Have to admit that burning leyland brash doesn't look very carbon neutral :D

Heating a draughty 6 bed farmhouse to a comfortable level including all hot water and cooking. Shifting a lot of wood but apart from my own labour it is for free.

Would prefer to live in a smaller better insulated house. I did have oil central heating but took it out and replaced with a wood stove, house is a lot warmer now because I could never afford the oil.

As for having an open fire in this day and age, just so wasteful. Most of the heat goes up the chimney and draws all the cold draughts in the process.

A modern log burner uses far less fuel and heats the house so much better.

I'm replacing my 11kw Bullerjan with a circa 17-20kw stove from The Champion Stove Company. I've got the 4kw stove of theirs in my office and it's very well made and good on firewood, as well as providing me with far more heat than I need. He doesn't do larger stoves off the shelf, so this one is just a scaled up small one. At £400, I'm not complaining for a well built, British made stove.

Champion Stove Company

Jonathan

Thats very like my jotul number 1 in kitchen

Will burn pretty much anything, I've even burned wet alder on one occasion

When we had power cut wondered why woodburner rusty, it wasn't rust just glowing

And if you pile embers in font of flue roars away in seconds

Downside is very dusty when you open door

No hot water which I want for central heating