Buying a new chipper. Advice please

Dr.Green

Dont go near a 6 x 6 inch chipper of any sorts unless its the bargin of the century, its 2014 ffs, not 1987 they are little more than half the chipper that a 6 x 12 is.

I did some timing and measurements with 2 crews running different chippers on the same jobsite. Same brand of chippers, simular HP. one was an older 6x6, the other a 6x12.

I dont remember the numbers exactly but it worked out that I could afford to spend 40% more on the 6 x 12 for the time it would save over 3 years in wages, billed time and fuel.

My vote goes towards a GM.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does look ingenious, curved grabbers. The feed wheels locking up on a brand new double feed wheel chipper just because some dead or brittle wood was being chipped has never made sense to me with all the force the wheels are supposed to have. But to come up with that as a solution, I can’t even imagine what you have to know. Can’t wait to see it perform as the Bandits excel in so many other ways.

Thanks for posting that.

That does look ingenious, curved grabbers. The feed wheels locking up on a brand new double feed wheel chipper just because some dead or brittle wood was being chipped has never made sense to me with all the force the wheels are supposed to have. But to come up with that as a solution, I can’t even imagine what you have to know. Can’t wait to see it perform as the Bandits excel in so many other ways.

Thanks for posting that.

Well at least it's sorted now, it's not as easy as changing one roller. The lower one is changed & the slats are alot more shallow than the curved roller.

Dr green iv just sent you a pm but your box is full, I will be selling a arborist 150 soon on as a friend has died so selling it on behalf of his widow, will get more details for you if you pm me back.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Just need to speed them up now to a decent infeed speed as that 75 is woefully slow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

Our chippers wouldn't work on fast speed & seems pointless to keep start/ stopping or reverse feeding with stress control as this is waste of fuel & time.a chipper with a 6x6 opening is ok but a chipper with with 7.5x12 would overload.

I think it's the tortoise & the hare scernario.

Tw every time out of the two, used the green mech on hire, not sure of the model and the chip quality was awful, even though it had new blades on, rollers wouldn't take very small twigs in easily and the brash got whipped around making it not very nice to be feeding it in whereas the Tw 150 we have puts out a good quality chip and would outperform that green mech any day even though the green mech would chip bigger.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

No TP mentioned in this thread?! :confused1:

Never used one, not that popular over here I guess.

Tw 150 are poor, crap bearings and ally fan blades, they chip well but not for long.

Dean cant see why your machines are so different, the infeed is way too slow and the anti stress takes far too long to kick in so takes an age for the engine to pick up again. Hydraulic seem under powered aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app