Briquetts killing log sales

I-buy-logs

Well there's the HETAS firewood scheme I guess - but it's not obligatory, and I guess a lot of people wouldn't want it to be - basically some office bod coming to your yard, telling you your logs are okay, then charging you a membership fee and more fees for every load you sell. Decent sellers don't need it - their customers know they're getting good stuff and stick with them. Poor sellers don't have to use it - they know there'll be another crop of newcomers to fleece next year. Looks a lot like just another set of self appointed office types making their money off the backs of the blokes doing the graft.

It's easy to get hooked on briquettes - I worked in forestry for many years and certainly did my share of firewood, but the only way I'd switch to logs now would be if they were coming out of my own wood. As it stands, I have one pallet in the corner of the garage - and that's me for a year. No mess, no splitting, storing for ages, loads of room taken up with log stores, testing to make sure they're dry enough etc etc. Every one is exactly the same and I know I'll get more heat than logs for the same weight of fuel. It's a bit lazy perhaps - but we can have a weeks worth sat on the hearth, and just bring in a few more packs now and again. Seemed to be forever traipsing up and down with a wheelbarrow when logs were the dish of the day.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You buy petrol/diesel/paraffin by litre

You buy electricity by kw/hour

You buy logs by ?

Needs nationally agreed standard .......

i'd say you need agreed mousture content and volume

I think trick is to worth WITH a trading standards office and get this bottomed 100%

THEN roll it out across the country

So you can buy logs with confidence and if there is a problem there is standard to work to .....and where your logs can be checked

Eliminates back street log sellers .........

THIS WOULD BE A TOTAL DISASTER,

Before you know it there would be "firewood assurance schemes" set up by every pen pusher that has a spare clipboard and charging you £120 for the privalige, just like they have done in the farming sector,

it works perfectly as it is , ie if you sell wet rubbish you wont get a second order, word spreads and that is that your gone .

as for the brickets , if people want them thats great ,give them what they want they"ll come back.

Our experience is a bit different then - most of our customers wouldn't swap them. Many have shopped around quite a bit and tried different types - they seem to have stopped shopping around now though. As I said - there are briquettes and briquettes - different brands can be like chalk and cheese.

liking this,as I sell out of "real logs" and have never been asked for briguetts I`m happy for you to keep doing a busy job selling these, keeps people wanting my seasoned dry real logs, i sell out anyway so wont be buying glued compressed logs.

I'm not here to get in a pissing match with anyone mate, and I'm glad we both have plenty of happy customers.

There's no glue in briquettes though...

I have stocked briquetts for a couple of years and can hardly give them away. I am up to speed on the quality angle, as I understand it the lighter less dense ones are made using machinery from the plastics industry which a produces far lower pressure and a less compact block.

A