Weight of green timber - help please

kingswood

Hi

I am currently working on a rigging article and need some weight tables for green timber. I can find sites full of American species, but am struggling to find data for UK species. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? The article will include tables that show the volumes and weights of stems and branches so that we can rig safely with a bit less guesswork! It will appear as a free download on our website.

Thanks

Richard

If you download the new Rigging research PDF from the HSE it explains calculating Green wood weights for timber.

For Oak 1 cubic meter weighs 1 tonne. This means it has a specific gravity (Spg) of 1.

Beech is heavier from memory I think it has a specific gravity of 1.26 which means 1 cubic meter weighs 1.26 tonne. Best to check this for yourself.

Best to allow a bit extra for branch unions and forks too.

http://www.tree-consult.org/images/p...68_Rigging.pdf

i did an advanced rigging course a few years back with paulo baveresco he is the man to contact he has done all the research for british standard and will have all the answers you should be able to google him if not i can get his number for you as a rule he says for every inch diamiter of log you should have 1mm of rope on a 4ft length eg: 16in dia x 4ft long log you need minimum of 16mm rope on an 8inch log you can go 8 ft long easy peasey!! no getting pen and paper out when you are up a tree

i did an advanced rigging course a few years back with paulo baveresco he is the man to contact he has done all the research for british standard and will have all the answers you should be able to google him if not i can get his number for you as a rule he says for every inch diamiter of log you should have 1mm of rope on a 4ft length eg: 16in dia x 4ft long log you need minimum of 16mm rope on an 8inch log you can go 8 ft long easy peasey!! no getting pen and paper out when you are up a tree

you sure thats right? them bits of wood are tiny!

Hi, I did a small project on this a few years ago. I have some of my own results for a select number of UK species (10 or so i think). Timber sizes were cut green, their volume was calculated as the frustum of a cone and the timber weighed. Currently the project is on a computer which has packed in but i need to get some other stuff off it anyway - I would be happy to share what i have provided i was acknowledged. Interested?

Thanks guys - I have the info I need now. It is useful to be able to compare various sources of info as they vary a bit. I was aware of the rigging research doc but didn't want to 'lift' info from it without permission. Look out for an article soon, and a pdf on our website soon after - I am sure it will provoke some discussion, which can only be good.

Cheers

Richard

you sure thats right? them bits of wood are tiny!

Yes its worked out if you have 12mm line 1200kg bs working on a safety factor of 10/1 so you can only load that line to 120 kg and a 12 in diameter log 4ft long 50kg say its got 1ft of free fall before the line tightens which will double the weight of the log in effect making a 50 kg log weigh 100 kg for example, that is the general theory to do it safely and no wreck your kit .We can and have lowered massive bits of wood but once you do the maths you then realise the implications of such actions. all above figures are for illustration only