Fabricating your own lowering device

colwoodlandcare

Copying for production is where the issue lies Drew. Personal-use copies dont hurt anyone, unless they break. Having the means and know-how to fabricate is actually a really cool thing:thumbup1: The lawful side that treequip has touched on is definitely something to be aware of though.

yeah i know reg- i just found it humorous how people went apeshit when a few people asked about making their own arb trolley yet here it doesnt rasie an eyebrow when making there own portawrap etc. ive used a tonne of homemade jobs and never had an issue but sometimes you do look at it and go wtf???If i could weld id be making stuff myself but alas, splicing is my thing..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But only when things go wrong... I am not advocating using non CE equipment just stating that there is no one out there to stop you. In ten years no one apart from people paid or employed by me have ever inspected my kit.

For the insurers and the ambulance chasers certainly, but in the eyes of the HSE you will be breaking the law using home made kit. Just because you haven't been pulled doesn't mean others haven't.

I have had my climbing kit checked against my LOLER records on a site, the HSE were there to look at other things and decided we needed looking at as well.

In general terms, in tree work we don't see inspections because the work is relatively transient and we are hard to nail down on a surprise inspection.

I've always thought the cost of materials and time spent fabricating a simple bollard wouldn't really be worth it when you can buy a kosher one for about £200.

Mine took about an hour to make, I did it one morning before a job because I lent the last one I made out and it never came back.

Cost wise, well it was some steel I had in the shop but not more than a teners worth and a couple of ratchet straps.

I've always thought the cost of materials and time spent fabricating a simple bollard wouldn't really be worth it when you can buy a kosher one for about £200.

Having fabricated a few bits n pieces over the years (No lowering devices)

I'd have too agree, especially if you don't have the materials and equipment ready at your disposisal.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App