what do you recon?

fergusonforestry

thinking about a potable stove for camping etc I will end up making my own from a gas bottle I have a couple of part built ones I got when a hippy kinda place shut down but saw this on ebay and wondered what people thought? would it actually be any good? Portable Wood Burning Stove Smoker WorkShop Camp Mini Fire Van Night Heater | eBay

just thinking a portable stove would be better for keeping lit, easier to cook on than a fire and doesn't need the same attention as a camp fire does, wondered if this one was actually viable or would it just turn into a ball of heat and be impossible to feed? also would it work effectively being so small?

cant help thinking it would be better with a swing door rather than a sliding hatch?

Edited by fergusonforestry

I reckon it would probably be hard work personally. With a firebox only 4" square it's only going to take very small stuff and there's a lot of metalwork to heat up. And of course it's going to weigh a tonne!

I'd be more inclined to go for a woodgas camp stove - which produce an incredible amount of heat from the tiniest bit of wood, or a rocket stove. Have a gander at Wild Stoves Been a while since I was involved - but I imported the first woodgas stoves into the UK donkeys years ago - and was well impressed with their performance.

Right,

I use a swiss army 'pump action' petrol burner two rings which fold out from main bottle ....

Hisses like a train at full pelt... Boils a big kettle in under 40 seconds...

Glows cherry red v quickly...

Cost about £65 ...from an army surplus

The dogs proverbials ....

I like your iron idea ... Would keep one warm I reckon ...

A combination of coal and wood , a little fat to get it started or 'chain oil'

The swiss burner comes in a neat two & a half foot box .. Ones perch whilst cooking up...

It never blows out even in a gale ....