Hiab to log crane conversion

it will depend on condition, they are worth double what they were ten years ago

Aint that the truth - saw my old one go through ebay a couple of years ago for a whole lot more that I paid for it (and sold it for) only a couple or so years earlier than that.

It wasn't that long ago they were regularly floating around for £4-5K. I remember only 6 or 7 years ago even Wilsons had one in with a roof mount for £3000 odd - it was rough but would have been OK for a yard bus.

our county has worn through two atlas 3008 cranes. the third is ready in the yard.

this is a hardwood setup for working in large timber. when you get a big enough log the crane has enough grunt to lift the front of the tractor

there is now too many cracks above the cab:001_rolleyes:

Great battlewagon, we had a county on the farm many many moons ago. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics.

I dont think you will kill a 650 hiab on the slew , that thing on the trailer has done 10 years of daily slog and its mounted on the trailer which rises to the front so its always slewing uphill . The pump number is a dowty ip3052ctdfb which is 16.75 cc per revolution, this is run on a two cylinder lister engine at 1500rpm and I would say its an ideal combo.It does not show it on the plate but if you point the boom straight up and the jib straight down so its up close to the trailer it bill pick up about 6 ton.

Thanks man, I will look into those numbers. Its great to see guys making stuff like this work for them.

I run a hiab 145-2. This will lift timber 8 ton close in and 1.7 ton at full reach (10 meters) Its just brilliant and I wouldn't be without it.

Did a job for the Fassi crane importers the other week and the hiab was much ridiculed as you would expect.I had a good chat with him about the difference and apart from all the things already mentioned, he also said that timber cranes were designed not just for lifting but also for pushing, ie. pushing timber down into a stack. apparently lorry loader cranes are only designed for lifting and should never be forced onto anything. If you look at the extensions if you push them down you will notice that they rise up away from their wear pads whereas timber cranes don't do this. They are generally also much much stronger.

Go for the lorry loader crane. In arb we dont need it fast all the time and they are much cheeper. Look after it and it will be the best thing you buy.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hey folks just jumping on this thread 8 years later😆 I've got a fastrac with crane and looking for a grab but unsure of size to get it can lift 3ton in close but think it's only 300kg full out, I'll make it easy to put on take off and wont often use it fully extended with grab on. Any inside into what size grab would be great.

Screenshot_2022-04-28-19-54-27-07_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

• Like 1