Defender tipper suspension

colwoodlandcare

Heavy duty springs all round on Defender 130 tipper with air assist helper on rear. Matt

Sent from my iPad protected by bombproof Lifeproof Case

How do you find the air bags ? Tempted myself , some a bit internet reading and you can get them to inflate automatically when pressure drops or you are carting a load

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the terrafirma 2" lift HD springs as I was struggling to get a set of bearmach HD springs, terrafirmas are rated at 420lbft/in & the bearmachs are rated at 510lbft/in.

The standard rears for a 3500kg are rated at 330lbft/in

HI SCRAGGS I RUN terrafirma springs no TF011 there 130 50MM LIFT 500KGS RATE AND THE BEARMACH ONES RATED AT 510LBS NOW IS THAT PER SPRING WIRE DIAMETER 22MM ON SPING AND THATS 40MM NO IS BA2100 WE RUN BEARMACH THEY WERE GOOD BUT THE TERRA ARE BETTER LESS ROLL AND CARRY MORE LOAD IM TOLD THE BEST SPINGS MONEY CAN BUY ARE OLD MAN EMU THE TERRA ARE A COPY OF THE OLD MANS LAST YEAR SPENT A WEEK LOOKING INTO IT THANKS MATE JON :thumbup:

Well everything arrived today, and it's all got to go back :(

The springs don't fit, measuring them it appears they have been wound too loose, and the air suspension has the wrong bottom plates and doesn't appear to fit very well with even the new but lower rated springs I am taking off, as there is a very large gap and the top and bottom plates won't stay in.

I didn't realise but extreme 4x4 are only down the road from me, and they have a set of standard height HD springs but they aren't cheap.

Well everything arrived today, and it's all got to go back :(

The springs don't fit, measuring them it appears they have been wound too loose, and the air suspension has the wrong bottom plates and doesn't appear to fit very well with even the new but lower rated springs I am taking off, as there is a very large gap and the top and bottom plates won't stay in.

I didn't realise but extreme 4x4 are only down the road from me, and they have a set of standard height HD springs but they aren't cheap.

HI SCRAGGS if your looking for the best springs on the market theres ONLY 1 THAT OLD MAN EMU BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR terra are cheap 2 rear springs 130 old mans will cost you £200 plus but there the best thanks jon :thumbup:

HI SCRAGGS if your looking for the best springs on the market theres ONLY 1 THAT OLD MAN EMU BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR terra are cheap 2 rear springs 130 old mans will cost you £200 plus but there the best thanks jon :thumbup:

They are very well liked by people but the biggest they do is quite a bit under the extreme 4x4 ones, and when I spoke to extreme they were happy for me to try them and if I don't like them so long as I haven't bashed them they will happily take them back, that said they are about the same price.

Well I have just got back from a decent trip out delivering with the truck and trailer and I am chuffed with how it handled, no roll and no sway, one of the best towing set ups I have driven (apart from the gutless 300tdi).

Ended up with terrafirma tf011 +2" HD on the rear with the assisters inside, but I had to turn a bit off the top assister plates to get them to fit ok, it is pretty hard when empty but I can live with that, the truck didn't drop by much at all when we loaded it and it was just light of 3500kg and had the trailer full aswell.

• 6 years later...
On 10/02/2014 at 21:28, HertsWood said:

Hi Mitch, I let the air out and it softens the ride when the 130 is running empty. When loaded & towing, I pump the air helper springs up. The Defender rides better.

Sent from my iPad protected by bombproof Lifeproof Case

Do you have any product names for this setup?

Or does anyone else have suggestions please?

Do you have any product names for this setup?
Or does anyone else have suggestions please?

Afternoon,
The “Air Assist” springs were installed by Paul Foley at Foley Land Rovers, if you give them a call I’m sure Paul will be able to help. I’ve very please with the system, as the compressor supplied also has an airline facility which is invaluable all year round.
FoleySV: 01279-793500, Paul Foley Email: [email protected]