Windblow hung up trees

SamWhiting12

part of the issue with presenting techniques informally on youtube is the limitations in time and budget to present a complete explanation..

This vid shows the technique used many times over

and if you think that vid was controversial.. try this one:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok , does everyone carry a winch? ive felled trees for tree crews that don't even own a winch.

My background is different to most of the members on here, most of my years in the trade have been cutting large timber for sawmills and have come across situations regularly like these down the years , sometimes it is the only way, a tree dismantle in sections isn't much good to a sawmill.

I am not judging anyone but just generalising about some of the comments made on the forum.Things have changed in the 40 years I have been in the industry and in a way a new breed has come into it.I have seen some very good climbers BUT I can honestly say that from a production point of view in a harvesting situation I have not seen one person in a tree gang that I would want on one of my sites felling large timber.

Regarding safety, I will lay money that over the last few weeks there are members on here that have worked on windblow with little or no experience, training or tickets, I will also lay money that there are members that fell oversize trees as above, where do you draw the line?

A lot of the members will never have been in a forestry situation , I learnt my trade long before tickets training etc. and I do things like the videos because I can and need to , that's what I got paid for.

The Canadians have many different techniques they use in order to deal with storm damage some are very clever but as far as the training here goes it's felling cuts type determined by girth of tree for leaning or hung up and on the ground wind blow it's varying step cuts and winches the new suit of wind blow is now called 302 and deals with all that and also assisted felling

We all do things which aren't in the manuals. Sometimes you have to. Sometimes you can't be bothered to trek back to get the winch. The problem I have is the suggestion that these techniques can be regarded as safe, however high your skill level.

Cutting down trees has an element of risk in it however high your skill or however many years you've been doing it for. Trees and chainsaws are dangerous items. Training is about minimising this risk. So sure, share the skills, which I value learning, but don't pretend that there isn't a risk.

I have used vertical plunge cut (taught to me about 30 years ago) a few times (through necessity) and always spend twice as much time checking everything out, over and over. Must say, that in the vid, I felt the vertical cut went too high. This limits the amount of time you have to get well out of the way, adding a lot more risk to the cut.

I have used vertical plunge cut (taught to me about 30 years ago) a few times (through necessity) and always spend twice as much time checking everything out, over and over. Must say, that in the vid, I felt the vertical cut went too high. This limits the amount of time you have to get well out of the way, adding a lot more risk to the cut.

I am not picking at your post but the whole point of this that seems to be overlooked by others is that gravity says the butt end is going to fall away from the cutter, The reasoning behind cutting high in my experience is to get enough momentum to make sure the tree clears the one it is hung up in, if you cut only a foot or two above the stump there is no fall and no momentum and what tends to happen is that the butt of the leaner creeps closer to the standing tree and makes the situation worse because in that scenario you would eventually be dealing with an almost upright hanger