The Topping / Reduction / Pruning Thread

Marc

2944036_27_full.jpg

Hey just done this one today was 65ft reduced to around 55ft and a little thining out.

I don't wish to stir the sh1t,but many of the cuts on this tree are back to growth points that are much less than 1 third the size of the one removed and water shoots are inevitable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This tree has plenty of energy storage left to sustain itsself and set its protection against my cuts The growth shoots are big enough to allow continuation of energy flow to the extremitys. Thus reducing epicormic growth.

Not all branches grow at equal rates so im guessing you would leave those sticking out 10ft and only reduce the ones within 1/3 you would not get work in my area from any company doing that.

1/3 is recommended and more than not always possible but i guess for you it is.

Oh bearing in mind this tree was reduced by some one else before so i had to clean up there epicormic mess.

Learn your tree biology

don't shoot the messenger this is your statement,you say you cut back to branches1/3 diameter:wave:

An interesting read which only complimtents what i already said about tree biology ie trees have genetic programming and repsond to the enviroment in a preset mannor. This is not a definative read tho.

Also epicormic growth occurs at every cut as part of the trees self preservation mechanism. So thanks for the post i enjoyed the read and it confirms many of what i belived to be correct.

Also the tree i showed was pruned within 1/3 of the branch diameter. The tree was cut in a way which allowed the tree to continue flowing energy to the extremities thus reducing the need for a programmed response ie epicormic growth at each cut.

The whole idea of leaving growth shoots and not flush cutting it to allow the tree to hold as much energy as possible also allowing the contiunation of its own system flow reducing infections and disturbances which cause stresses.

This is only a snap of what im saying

cheers

I agree with you and yes i cut to around 1/3 but it is not always possible especially when the customers dictating what they want if i dont cut where they want i go hungry.

To much ideology and not enough common sense.

Hey i dont take offence guys its your opinion but im passionate about trees and when some one trys to say i unnessacerily harms them it puts my back up.

This tree has plenty of energy storage left to sustain itsself and set its protection against my cuts The growth shoots are big enough to allow continuation of energy flow to the extremitys. Thus reducing epicormic growth.

Not all branches grow at equal rates so im guessing you would leave those sticking out 10ft and only reduce the ones within 1/3 you would not get work in my area from any company doing that.

1/3 is recommended and more than not always possible but i guess for you it is.

Oh bearing in mind this tree was reduced by some one else before so i had to clean up there epicormic mess.

Learn your tree biology

I think skyhuck has a valid point, but none of us can really fairly comment on the job, as we did not see the tree before, or what its condition was in regards to the lightning damage.

Not even I can stick to the 1/3 rule all the time, but I will not shape the tree, if it comes out looking a little lumpy because it was the only place to make a suitable pruning cut, then so be it.

And I find with my approach I have no end of end work offered to me. And I charge a premium for taking so little out of a tree.

I agree with you and yes i cut to around 1/3 but it is not always possible especially when the customers dictating what they want if i dont cut where they want i go hungry.

To much ideology and not enough common sense.

The customer is wrong and knows jack about trees, your the professional try to sway them, but heck if they still want it shaped then do it. I know I do (I just don't post the pics of those jobs)

I had it a month ago 2 jobs in the same day both Euc's I did the first my way and the customer loved it even though its not what they had in mind I just managed to convince them what I did was best.

The second tree I did my way and the customer just wanted it made smaller, I tried in vain to convince them, but still ended up going back up the tree and taking more off.

You win some you lose some.

Well this is more like it it would be alot easier to do it your way and not shape but i would not get called back if i did not tidy a naturally messy tree.

I have been back to many reductions and the trees have sealed old cuts nicely.

:wave:

The fact is many people many veiws on whats best and lack of real knowledge on trees. Its still being studied and always changing whats beneficial.

Personally untill shaping is classed as harmful i believe it has benefits. I dont remove huge limbs just to even the trees its all within a givin tolerance and i do look at the tree before cutting to see the most benificial point to start.

There are so many factors which inhibit a perfect job.

Excessive growth and decay thats just scarmongering. what proof do you have to suggest this. Many factors affect growth rates and decay. Decay is not an infection or diesease its a naturel stage in a trees life.