The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Thanks barry

i think you are right :001_rolleyes:

just to make sure ive been adjusting the gearbox pulley right. ive turned the allen screw clockwise all the way in (is that right)

Yup, the belt looks tight enough in you pics, so make sure your cable is adjusted.

If that does not cure it then its a new gearbox. A bit of a fiddle to replace it though.

This Stiga was in for service today.

Its a 2012 model and needed no repairs over and above the service.

I really can't fault these machines. Incredible build quality, the only fault I ever have with this model is occasional wear on the PTO engagement belt if overloaded. This is very easily replaced.

The latest 3 bladed deck like this one are V belt driven, unlike the older 'timed' ones. The decks have very heavy gauge steel and heavy duty bearings, a vast improvement on the previous ones of 10 years ago which were, frankly, a little weak.

My least favourite thing on this particular mower is the Honda GCV engine. 2014 models sport the Briggs Vanguard engine which is, in my opinion, the best twin cylinder engine available for machines of his nature.

P1000825.jpg.02754dbe8e1339be6e72e6ab5746a178.jpg

P1000824.jpg.ce80233adde42038e35fdfc6bf087031.jpg

P1000823.jpg.e4ab6961dd0d1208dbcf8d01efda0e43.jpg

P1000818.jpg.9c3bb13d8efc7bb92b700dd2b1331fd0.jpg

Make sure the carb is clean, also the air filter. The spark arrestor in the exhaust could be blocked, especially if its burning a bit of oil.

Thanks GK

Air filter I can do.

Now the carb cleaning is a bit daunting. Do I take it off or just undo something?

What does a spark arrester look like?

It's not burning oil.

If it comes to a bit of longish grass the engine sounds laboured.

It's the Kawasaki engine.

Thanks again

Rich

Great idea.. While we do get involved with trees we are mostly grounds maintenance so this will be interesting... Plus as far as i can find there isn't any forums that cover landscaping or grounds/garden maintenance and certainly nothing that is as well populated as arbtalk..:thumbup:

LandscapeJuice does as big maybe bigger than Arbtalk.

Thanks GK

Air filter I can do.

Now the carb cleaning is a bit daunting. Do I take it off or just undo something?

What does a spark arrester look like?

It's not burning oil.

If it comes to a bit of longish grass the engine sounds laboured.

It's the Kawasaki engine.

Thanks again

Rich

Ah, if its the Kawasaki, scratch the spark arrestor.

The carb could need a clean. you could start by taking off the bowl. Try to keep whatever fuel is in the bowl, in the bowl, so you can have a look at it. If its clean then the carb probably is, but if the fuel is contaminated then the carb needs a deep clean.

But equally possible, it could be low engine revs. anything less than 2800 is not going to perform, so it may want tweaking up a little.

Anything over 2900 will not conform to CE regs, but the engine will be safe up to 3600.

3000-3100 is a good speed.

The belts on those machines are generally pretty good and last well. They can be tensioned with the allen screw adjuster under the gearbox which pushes the the gearbox pulley rearward.

The internal clutch in the gearbox is prone to wear. This can initially be adjusted out by adjusting the cable at the handle end (lengthen the outer cable)

But it is not at all uncommon to have to replace the gearbox on these machines.

If its fully adjusted and the pulley rotates, but the roller does not go round under load then the box has had it.

I've changed a few of these gearbox's, they are tricky. It involves drilling out pop rivets that hold a bearing in place. I've also successfully repaired them by opening up the gearbox and replacing the spacer which the clutch mechanism presses against for a slightly longer one thus taking up the slack. I have seen them where the spacer which is made of plastic has melted due to the friction of the parts rubbing together. In my opinion they are poorly designed, nothing like older Honda's.:thumbdown:

I've changed a few of these gearbox's, they are tricky. It involves drilling out pop rivets that hold a bearing in place. I've also successfully repaired them by opening up the gearbox and replacing the spacer which the clutch mechanism presses against for a slightly longer one thus taking up the slack. I have seen them where the spacer which is made of plastic has melted due to the friction of the parts rubbing together. In my opinion they are poorly designed, nothing like older Honda's.:thumbdown:

I agree, but as you and I both know, the old (good) Hondas, were made by Kaaz.

When Honda decided to make their own mowers it all started to go downhill, but they carried on living on the Kaaz reputation.