The Mower Bench

GardenKit

1 hour ago, GardenKit said:

Before you get too carried away just got a new plug. These engines can eat plugs and backfiring is a classic symptom of plug failure.

I thought I read a new plug was fitted, but reading back it was just cleaned (Specsavers). 

I totally agree the new plug is the first step in this situation, these engines are extremely fussy when it comes to plugs.

9 hours ago, lurkalot said:

I thought I read a new plug was fitted, but reading back it was just cleaned (Specsavers). 

I totally agree the new plug is the first step in this situation, these engines are extremely fussy when it comes to plugs.

The Honda GC engines as fitted to the Izzy and many other makes of mower are highly thought of by many. I get many customers who will only buy Honda but in reality the GC engine is really no better than the Briggs alternative.

In fact the Honda GC is very fussy on spark plugs and carburation, as well as diabolical choke/cable setting on the older manual choke versions.

The more expensive GX engines are however brilliant and probably responsible for the great reputation that Honda engines have.

7 hours ago, GardenKit said:

The Honda GC engines as fitted to the Izzy and many other makes of mower are highly thought of by many. I get many customers who will only buy Honda but in reality the GC engine is really no better than the Briggs alternative.

In fact the Honda GC is very fussy on spark plugs and carburation, as well as diabolical choke/cable setting on the older manual choke versions.

The more expensive GX engines are however brilliant and probably responsible for the great reputation that Honda engines have.

Agreed, people get sucked into a brand which used to build good quality stuff, but don't realise they not buying the same thing any more.  Honda are notorious for doing this, though they're not the only ones who are guilty.

To me, the Honda IZY has always been well overpriced, it's just a tin decked machine with a cheap engine on it.  .The latest ones fitted with even cheaper quality components, the plastic wheel bushes (pictured below) for example, instead of the ball bearings they used to have.  They collapse if you sneeze on them now.  Luckily the old ball bearings still fit the new wheels so they can be converted.  Shouldn't have to do this though. 

The choke linkage always was a mare, and don't get me started on the carbs.

New type plastic wheel bushes with middles broken out. 

izywb1.jpg

Edited by lurkalot

And.........the quality of steel in the Izzy is terrible. They rust through faster than any other mower I have ever serviced. I have had one rust out in only 6 years.

It's a pity because they 're actually  quite a nice mower when  new.

Dr 

33 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

And.........the quality of steel in the Izzy is terrible. They rust through faster than any other mower I have ever serviced. I have had one rust out in only 6 years.

It's a pity because they 're actually  quite a nice mower when  new.

Dr 

Usually around ten years the whole front end falls off, complete with wheels, at least it did on the first ones.

Alright "when new", yes I guess they do look ok. ;)

2 hours ago, Garfield said:

How many spark plugs do you expect to use on a seasons cutting using a Honda GC engine.Say from March till October.Thank you for all your input into my mower problem,it is greatly received.

I would expect one plug to be good for the  season.  Still worth trying another though. Oh, and only use NGK, never  use Champion. 

13 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

I would expect one plug to be good for the  season.  Still worth trying another though. Oh, and only use NGK, never  use Champion. 

What have you found with Champion plugs ..some get confused with the heat ratings between the 2 brands but is there another thing you find ?