The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Are used Honda HRX mowers with drive faults DIY repairable on a budget?.... confident I have the skills to do the repairs myself but I'm wondering about the cost of replacement parts....

cheers, steve

Transmission problems are very common with these mowers. Some people dismantle the box and pack out the clutch actuator to get a bit more life, but the only real way to do it is to fit a new gearbox. Current retail of £120. And a bit of a fiddle to fit as well, but we do loads of them.

I've got a hrd 536 with a drive problem (shocker). Took roller off, stripped gearbox and couldn't see any problems, so I changed the position of the arm on the top a few notches so it engages harder. Now the roller will engage when in low revs, but not in high revs, but if you start in low revs, engage the drive then put it in high drive it works. Any idea?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply, only just seen this post. This type of ally box has internal steel dog clutches that wear and then keep bouncing off rather than engage. Engagement at low revs helps them to find their slots to engage, also pushing the machine forward whilst engaging helps.

The gearbox will go on for years using the above methods.

Transmission problems are very common with these mowers. Some people dismantle the box and pack out the clutch actuator to get a bit more life, but the only real way to do it is to fit a new gearbox. Current retail of £120. And a bit of a fiddle to fit as well, but we do loads of them.

Great thanks. That's not as bad £'s as I thought it might be. Is the hydrostatic unit supplied with the gearbox?

cheers, steve

Great thanks. That's not as bad £'s as I thought it might be. Is the hydrostatic unit supplied with the gearbox?

cheers, steve

Sorry Steve, did not realise from your post that it was a hydrostatic version. That puts a totally different slant on it as those boxes are mega money at around £440. Needless to say we don't do many of these as people are generally keener to change the machine!

Sorry Steve, did not realise from your post that it was a hydrostatic version. That puts a totally different slant on it as those boxes are mega money at around £440. Needless to say we don't do many of these as people are generally keener to change the machine!

ah, thanks. That makes more sense why some are so cheap on eBay..... I've not bought one to repair and happy to ditch that idea!

cheers, steve

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying an Etesia Pro46 PBTS mower, a used one.

Not a ride-on.... just a self propelled/ single speed walk behind. None of that hydrostatic nonsense!

I've been very impressed with how well it's coped with our long, really long, soaking wet grass.

cheers, steve

Hi Gardenkit,

I have a Honda HR1950 (DOM1992), i purchased it 2nd hand and it all looked good, starts on the first pull every time.

One problem that has emerged is that when i let go of the self propel bar it carries on powering forward dragging me off in to the flower beds :biggrin:

To make sure it stops when requested i have to let go of self propel bar and lift the rear of the mower up taking the weight off the roller - to which it stops on the button. - it has resulted in me breaking the handle which i now have to weld up :sad:

Any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks

Daniel

When a mower fails to release its clutch it is normally due to a sticking cable (due to damage or rust).

How lifting it helps is a little strange, unless the handles are a bit slack and flex the cable when lifted allowing the clutch to release.