DEFRA approved stove

Lancstree

I have a pioneer 400 and it runs on hardly any wood and will stay in all night,i don't want to state the obvious but do you realise the door handle threads in and out to improve the door seal,sorry if you already knew that.

Im sure clearview would like to know about the problem.

As has been said it will be the vent on the back . The one for smokeless areas . The efficiency is not how little wood you use its how complete a burn the stove will make . So opposite things really . If the vent on the back is set wide open ( how it should be for smokeless zones then it will burn out over night . If you are not in a smokeless zone you can shut or partially shut the rear vent so you get more control from the vent/vents on the front . :001_smile:

As has been said it will be the vent on the back . The one for smokeless areas . The efficiency is not how little wood you use its how complete a burn the stove will make . So opposite things really . If the vent on the back is set wide open ( how it should be for smokeless zones then it will burn out over night . If you are not in a smokeless zone you can shut or partially shut the rear vent so you get more control from the vent/vents on the front . :001_smile:

Ah so there is a vent at the rear of the fire? Should I be able to just reach around and adjust it or would the fire need to be taken out? We had the supplier do the job lot.

Ah so there is a vent at the rear of the fire? Should I be able to just reach around and adjust it or would the fire need to be taken out? We had the supplier do the job lot.

Did the stove come with an owner's manual or did the supplier/fitter 'forget' to leave it.

Lots of clean burning stoves are made, or adjusted so that the air can't be shut right down. Sometimes it's extra vents out of the way somewhere - sometimes it's some kind of restrictor fitted to the normal air controls preventing them from being closed completely - the idea being that the fuel in the fire will always be getting enough combustion air to burn reasonably cleanly.

Like it or not - air quality is an issue - some places have had a lot of bother with a modern day smog which has come about as a result of all the wood burners being fitted in recent years. And of course there are a lot of people using stoves (many of them frequenting the moneysavingexpert forum it seems) who think it's fine to burn any old crap - "it's free heat innit?" in a stove. Treated /painted wood etc - who cares about toxic fumes - you can't smell it in your house - so screw the neighbours and their kids.

Most Defra approved stoves ( stoves approved to burn wood within a smoke control area) have either an additional (Terciery) air supply feeding into the rear of the firebox or are set up in such a way that they cant be closed right down. Some stoves at the top end of the market do have controllable terciery systems.

Closing a stove down massively increases smoke pollution but it also blacks the glass as no air is flowing past it and puts tars into the flue. The temp in the firebox needs to be kept above the combustion of the creosote given off by all logs in gas form. Allow it to drop below the combustion point, then the gases dont burn and the condense in the chimney. This means heat lost and tar up chimney may be lining you up for a chimney fire.

If burning through the night is critical to you use smokeless coal.

A

Point taken regarding the pollution. We did it right and got DEFRA approved stoves fitted. That aside my bigger fire seems more efficient and seems to slow the flame more than my old man's. Interestingly he seems to get a better door seal than mine! I've noticed from even when it was new that there was a gap at the top of the door where you could see into the fire. I started a thread about this long ago. Anyhow, I can get an overnight burn with a few bits of birch or ash on mine - meanwhile I don't get the chance to enjoy it because I'm busy out processing wood for my Dad's little incinerator!