Oregon reduced weight bar

steve collins

I had a 32" one on my ported 385xp. Very well balanced. Not as robust and long-lasting as a laminate, let alone a solid bar, but worth it if you are going to use it all day felling big timber.

133818921.5n7uVAZJ.jpg

What about the sugihara ones Chainsawbars sell? I got a couple in 13 and 15 inch. To try out, but really you do need to be on a big bar to gain the advantage.

I am impressed at the sugihara quality. Looking at the one posted above, I would of thought it would be stronger from a twist point of view if the insert was 2 0r 3 instead of 1 long one?

They weigh significantly more than Oregon reduced weight bars in 28-32" lengths. If you look at the bar in the pic, you'll see it as a huge chunk of steel cut out and replaced with aircraft aluminum. Er, aluminium. They aren't as stiff, but since they weigh less, they can be less stiff.

OK, tracked down a few posts I recalled from AS. A bud of mine in Aus weighed a 32" sugi at:

Sugihara is 1930 grams (4.25lbs)

32" Oregon Reduced Weight is 3lbs 6 ounces according to my scale.

32" ES is nearly 2200 grams.

32" Tsumura lite is 3lbs 13 ounces

Here are some weights I found for the 24-25" bars:

24" Sugihara (new): 1320g

24" Husky-Oregon (slight use) 1490g

24" Carlton Stainless (used) 1560g

24" (Stihl 25") ES (new) 1640g

24" Stihl E Laminate 1360g

28" Sugi is 3lbs 4ounces

28" Stihl Super Lite is 2lbs 13 ounces

28" Tsumura Light is 3lbs 6 ounces

28" Tsumura Stainless is 4lbs

28" Oregon is 1750 grams 3lbs 13 ounces

Edited by wyk

BTW, though I have quoted 'stainless' in some of the above weights, I highly doubt any chainsaw bar is made of stainless steel. They all seem to be made of chrome moly, like a 4100 or 4300 series steel far as I can tell. The laminates may have all manner of stuff for their insides. The Sugis and Tsumura lightweights have epoxy inserts.

28" Sugi is 3lbs 4ounces

28" Stihl Super Lite is 2lbs 13 ounces

28" Tsumura Light is 3lbs 6 ounces

28" Tsumura Stainless is 4lbs

28" Oregon is 1750 grams 3lbs 13 ounces

Nice post - someone needs to put a 28" Husky TechLite on a scale and add it to the list! :001_smile: