Samurai Legend comp extreme - 9" R6 carving bar for Stihl MS150

Rob D

Have ordered x20 of these bars - further pics and info hopefully from Tommy Craggs (Treecarver Tommy on here) who is the only person in the UK to have one... pretty unique bar based on the 1/4" .043 chain by Stihl.

Pre order offer - you will get x2 free chains if you order before the 7th Feb - this to help mitigate the £95-00+vat of each bar....

Carving bars - put in MS150 to bring the bar up.

You can use on other saws as it has a universal mount but wants to be under 30cc - too much power will cause the bar tip to fail prematurely.

This is the smallest nose chainsaw bar in the world - R6 (radius 6mm). Smallest dime tips are R9.

Note - this is for experienced carvers as this bar is for finishing detail and very fine work with a chainsaw. It will not stand up to heavy duty use and blocking large areas out. You should already have another carving bar and saw set up for this.

There will be Sugihara bars in 4 months for the MS150 with an R9 tip which will be stronger for more general use.

Notes from the manufacturuer:

'The bar is laminate style (3 pieces, not solid one piece)

The reason is that the bar tip is so small that it is very hard to carve our the inner rail particularly around bar tip area. So we decided to employ 3 pieces process, which makes us easier to shape the precise inner plate.

This is not a heavily used carving bar, so we decided to trade off some of the bar strength.

Instead, the bar is much lighter than normal solid 9", 11"bars, by applying lightning holes to inner plate.

We have added extra welding process to the inner bar tip area to retain strength against the tip split opening.

The Stelite is molded on to the bar tip, and it is slightly softer than our other bars and many of other brands' bar tips. Also, the bar tip is individually grounded and shaped by hands.

Being so small, we are more concerned about cracking. (The harder, the more chance of cracking) We are aware that some carvers prefer much harder bartips, but we needed to make sure the balance is good.

The whole logo, by the way, is laser engraved instead of printing, so will stay almost permanently.

We have been selling specialty carving bars over the past 10 years, started from 9R carving bars almost first in the market.

From that success, we started 7R carving bar about 6 years ago. This was a challenge for us to persuade our contracted manufacture and test the market, since it was the smallest possible radius for Oregon 1/4 saw chain, but turned out that many carvers were very happy to add it to the line of bars they use.

The 6R started obviously when we saw Stihl's making new carving saw chain, so it has only been a year or so. So far, over here in Japan, people are happy with the performance.

Hayashi Takao is our partnered carver, and he has been using the bar at many occasions including US carving events, since we produced the prototype.

He said the bar is extremely useful for detail work of course, but also recommended not to use it for too much bulk cutting work. '

:001_smile:

logos.jpg.7eccaa0cf740ef89ec0d75fcb21e0265.jpg

extreme_bars.jpg.3d621cdb4f72141df0440812a242617f.jpg

on_machine.jpg.598dcdaff38956bf6d3d4fb473ee3237.jpg

Have ordered x20 of these bars - further pics and info hopefully from Tommy Craggs (Treecarver Tommy on here) who is the only person in the UK to have one... pretty unique bar based on the 1/4" .043 chain by Stihl.

Pre order offer - you will get x2 free chains if you order before the 7th Feb - this to help mitigate the £95-00+vat of each bar....

Carving bars - put in MS150 to bring the bar up.

You can use on other saws as it has a universal mount but wants to be under 30cc - too much power will cause the bar tip to fail prematurely.

This is the smallest nose chainsaw bar in the world - R6 (radius 6mm). Smallest dime tips are R9.

Note - this is for experienced carvers as this bar is for finishing detail and very fine work with a chainsaw. It will not stand up to heavy duty use and blocking large areas out. You should already have another carving bar and saw set up for this.

There will be Sugihara bars in 4 months for the MS150 with an R9 tip which will be stronger for more general use.

Notes from the manufacturuer:

'The bar is laminate style (3 pieces, not solid one piece)

The reason is that the bar tip is so small that it is very hard to carve our the inner rail particularly around bar tip area. So we decided to employ 3 pieces process, which makes us easier to shape the precise inner plate.

This is not a heavily used carving bar, so we decided to trade off some of the bar strength.

Instead, the bar is much lighter than normal solid 9", 11"bars, by applying lightning holes to inner plate.

We have added extra welding process to the inner bar tip area to retain strength against the tip split opening.

The Stelite is molded on to the bar tip, and it is slightly softer than our other bars and many of other brands' bar tips. Also, the bar tip is individually grounded and shaped by hands.

Being so small, we are more concerned about cracking. (The harder, the more chance of cracking) We are aware that some carvers prefer much harder bartips, but we needed to make sure the balance is good.

The whole logo, by the way, is laser engraved instead of printing, so will stay almost permanently.

We have been selling specialty carving bars over the past 10 years, started from 9R carving bars almost first in the market.

From that success, we started 7R carving bar about 6 years ago. This was a challenge for us to persuade our contracted manufacture and test the market, since it was the smallest possible radius for Oregon 1/4 saw chain, but turned out that many carvers were very happy to add it to the line of bars they use.

The 6R started obviously when we saw Stihl's making new carving saw chain, so it has only been a year or so. So far, over here in Japan, people are happy with the performance.

Hayashi Takao is our partnered carver, and he has been using the bar at many occasions including US carving events, since we produced the prototype.

He said the bar is extremely useful for detail work of course, but also recommended not to use it for too much bulk cutting work. '

Hi ROB nice them bar do look nice mate Jon

Just placed an order for one Rob, they look really classy and well made and the 2 chains is a good deal IMO. :thumbup1:

The Sugi gloves are still going strong!!!! Lost one the other day but managed to locate it after much frantic searching. Now need to get a new jacket as the big whole in the pocket was the culprit.

Just placed an order for one Rob, they look really classy and well made and the 2 chains is a good deal IMO. :thumbup1:

The Sugi gloves are still going strong!!!! Lost one the other day but managed to locate it after much frantic searching. Now need to get a new jacket as the big whole in the pocket was the culprit.

Good stuff - they are very well built - just bear in mind these are for extreme detail carving only...

Glad the gloves are standing up well - you can wash them on low temp.

• 2 weeks later...
Bar arrived today Rob. Really impressed with the small radius. Not had a chance to have a go yet but it sits nice on the 150.

Hopefully i'll get some time tomorrow to potter about with it.

Good stuff - just bear in mind the small nose is for detail work only - too much pressure ad you can splay the nose so is for finishing touches..

If you can put up some pics when you use it ideal :biggrin:

OK here is my review of the Samurai Legend comp extreme - 9" R6 carving bar for Stihl MS150 below is my opinion of this product. I am not a professional chainsaw carver but would class myself as someone who works with chainsaws as part of my job and have created a good selection of carvings which I sell at our annual fete and also produce installations for the estate grounds.

Before I start I have to mention Rob at Chainsawbars.com.

I have bought a selection of the products that are sold at CHAINSAWBARS.COM over the last few years from 36"chainsaw mill and accessories to various bars and numerous chains.

The service has always been very good and the quality of the products has been top class. He only stocks good products, again my opinion.

I decided to have a go with this new bar and chain on my lunch break today. I thought I would take it easy to familiarise myself with it and not push it due to the recommendation from Rob.

With the MS150 this bar is a great match. Instantly felt good holding it and the first few light sweeps brought a smile to a very cold Gnome today.(and on a Monday)

I used a MS211 with a standard 14" bar for the blocking out as I completely agree with Rob that the sumurai bar just wouldn't last.

Due to this speed carve I obviously blocked out a bit too deep in some places, a technique which I think is becoming my trademark signature:blushing:.

The samurai was great for smoothing some of these imperfections off. Something I would use an angle grinder and flap disc for usually, but I could get right into the corners due to the insanely small radius of the bar.

This I could see is also a benefit to users who are in competitions where chainsaws are the only tool to be used such as CarveCarrbridge.

I could have spent longer getting more detail, which I might still do, but was very happy with my effort. I can see the potential for some really detailed work and some nice textures. I would say that it was like the difference you feel from first going from a normal bar to a quarter tip bar.

So for my setup now I have the following:

Husky 372xp for blocking out bigger stuff

Stihl MS211 for blocking smaller stuff

Husky 240 with quarter tip bar

Still MS150 with samurai bar

Hope you like the pics of my new Wooden Saw :001_smile:

samurai1.jpg.b18f94353bf5d130d4ea4a38afe58f46.jpg

samurai4.jpg.32bdc9546315877f51b145a716a03d26.jpg

samurai3.jpg.570a783813f5e38efb315e5a419be546.jpg

samurai2.jpg.552a7aaaefb897161c2fd96fa00e7df7.jpg