kiln dryer

Johny Walker

It is easy to overlook you are running a top spec. chip boiler, maintaining 60 deg. 24/7

Can you tell me is the 60 degree the water temperature going into the heat exchanger

Or the air temperature coming out of heat exchangers

Or is that a core temp from one of the stillages inside the kiln

Is th kiln constantly venting?

Reason I ask is I run a 20ft circulating kiln, which I can close down vents to raise inside temperature which can be done by raising the relative humidity controls which I have installed

At the moment it's running at 55 at heat exchanger end and 43 at far end

Rh is set at 55, which I will turn down as the drying time increases, it is venting about every five minutes

I've really enjoyed reading this post as information on drying is very sketchy

It is easy to overlook you are running a top spec. chip boiler, maintaining 60 deg. 24/7

Can you tell me is the 60 degree the water temperature going into the heat exchanger

Or the air temperature coming out of heat exchangers

Or is that a core temp from one of the stillages inside the kiln

Is th kiln constantly venting?

Reason I ask is I run a 20ft circulating kiln, which I can close down vents to raise inside temperature which can be done by raising the relative humidity controls which I have installed

At the moment it's running at 55 at heat exchanger end and 43 at far end

Rh is set at 55, which I will turn down as the drying time increases, it is venting about every five minutes

I've really enjoyed reading this post as information on drying is very sketchy

Yours is a proper kiln, mine is basically a forced air dryer. Water going in to heat exchanger is 85 degrees and I get 70 degrees of air out of the heat exchanger and 60 degrees at the far end of the kiln at floor level (10ft long).

hi i have had mine for 18 months it runs great guns price was £35,000

Problem is RHI has dropped massively since then so now its a much longer payback period. GF have moved over to the +200 size to benefit from the mid tier but this is still 45% lower than the rate you secured 18 months ago

Interested to hear more from people who have the glen farrow kiln. Considering getting one but concerned heat produced will be well down on what is claimed and labour time needed to load it. Have a wood chip kiln running all the farms heating and that is fantastic but this sort of setup will be too expensive for a kiln. Any advice from people who have them would be appreciated.

Interested to hear more from people who have the glen farrow kiln. Considering getting one but concerned heat produced will be well down on what is claimed and labour time needed to load it. Have a wood chip kiln running all the farms heating and that is fantastic but this sort of setup will be too expensive for a kiln. Any advice from people who have them would be appreciated.

I have used both. As you will know from your own experience a wood chip and batch fed boiler are totally different beasts. A wood chip boiler will in most cases deliver its stated capacity and will be very efficient (circa 90%). They work by having small amounts of fuel introduced on a very regular basis.

Large batch fed boilers like the GF will be circa 60% efficient and you will struggle to deliver more than 50% of the stated peak capacity over a 24 hour period. In fairness to GF they now quote a peak output not a capacity.

In a log drying environment using forced air to dry the logs, there is a constant demand for large volumes of energy 24/7 and thus the refueling requirements will be onerous.

The BIG advantage of a batch fed boiler is the cost, including install you are looking at circa 25% of the cost of a woodchip boiler.

If I were looking again at a batch fed boiler to power a kiln then I would use a kiln rather than a forced air dryer. A kiln is a more efficient method of drying logs. I would also look at using straw bales as a fuel rather than wood (cheaper and quicker to load). An accumulation tank would also be a must. Take a look at the Farm 2000 range.