kiln dryer

Johny Walker

The calcs I used were based on weight because volume has so many variables.

Loose stacked 50cm larch at 20% I am getting 4m3 to the tonne - verified on weigh bridge. If it were 20cm hardwood logs the volume per tonne would be a lot less.

Most people will be burning fairly large pieces of wood in the batch fed boiler and so I think it is fair to assume that in most cases there would be more volume per tonne that the calcs you use when selling logs.

Loose stacked 50cm larch at 20% I am getting 4m3 to the tonne - verified on weigh bridge. If it were 20cm hardwood logs the volume per tonne would be a lot less.

Most people will be burning fairly large pieces of wood in the batch fed boiler and so I think it is fair to assume that in most cases there would be more volume per tonne that the calcs you use when selling logs.

Cutting smaller increases volume.

There we go - 4m3 per tonne for Larch - this is the sort of data required to give quantified results. Douglas can be similar. All processed at 50cm.

Still looking for other's feedback on the 'Net profit' on RHI from my earlier post after costing all the overheads associated with drying Firewood.

Thanks. :001_smile:

Cutting smaller increases volume.

In my experience, dropping into 2m3 crates straight of the processor I get much more weight in smaller logs than I do in large lengths. Perhaps the difference is that way the wood is loaded into the bags or crates / size of crate ?

In terms of profit from batch fed boilers. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Everyone's costs will be different based on fuel type, fuel cost, availability of staff on site etc.

What I can say with some certainty though is that if you are selling 4- 500m3 plus of logs a year then you are infinitely better off with a batch fed boiler (>200kwh) and kiln than without ( cashflow, space, ability to charge premium for product, ability to react to demand, RHI income versus capex)

Edited by Duffryn

I agree on the size difference v weight.

When I get the time I will get some data on crates of different sizes weighed.

Stock and the dedicated storage for > 500m3 is a fair investment - 12.5K stillages, 10K roundwood, plus associated costs - say 25K. So that is 25K tied up indefinately rising as timber prices rise.

I see a combination of the 2 being the best option for many if you have the dry cover of course.

It's still satisfying filling stillages with green processed wood, stacking and a short time later empty and off they go. :001_smile:

In my experience, dropping into 2m3 crates straight of the processor I get much more weight in smaller logs than I do in large lengths. Perhaps the difference is that way the wood is loaded into the bags or crates / size of crate ?

In terms of profit from batch fed boilers. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Everyone's costs will be different based on fuel type, fuel cost, availability of staff on site etc.

What I can say with some certainty though is that if you are selling 4- 500m3 plus of logs a year then you are infinitely better off with a batch fed boiler (>200kwh) and kiln than without ( cashflow, space, ability to charge premium for product, ability to react to demand, RHI income versus capex)

400m3 of processed logs is only 11 fills of the 40ft and 66 days, based on the mentioned 6 day cycle.

Would one really generate enough rhi income in 66 days?