salix x chyrsocoma and ash

cerneARB

hello all.

In my back garden we got a Salix x chrysocma and Fraxinus excelsior. I have suggested to our landlady that the Ash needs to have one dominant stem not 3 as in the pictures. The reason i suggested this is that in my opinion the co dominat stems could be a future hazard due to weak forks in ash and secondly the tree will incorprate itself into the fence in the future. the centeral stem has what looks like a frost crack so i would remove this stem.

The willow has had pollarding before and blocks the car park on the right. I know you can pollard this species, but the tree has got some white rot and im concerned that more pollarding will increase its decay. Plus i dont want to pollard it all..maybe just do the branches over the car park.

Im still a student and want to know what you proffessionals think.

Thanks.

salxsmall.jpg.eb4e6a644daa2a2c871b4a0f421edcae.jpg

rot2small.jpg.a962cff5d42c11e917de038ccb60494e.jpg

frostsmall.jpg.bd8a71160fe02e5d89cf27e7876d4d23.jpg

ashsmall.jpg.ebe24de2cf646edc222e9ff8b95a8a84.jpg

pollard the willow, fell the ash and replant.

I second that, the Ash is probably a self-seed and isn't realy growing in the best place and so will probably never going to reach its potential.

But i'm no professional.

i agree with the pollarding of the willow, only a third thou. I dont want to top it 100% thats a crime against nature in my eyes and Shigos:cussing:. I will suggest the complete felling of the ash to the landlady and the council..the trees are in a conservation area. The willow makes good biodivirsity..lots of insects on it for the birds.

Cheers guys...even the non proffessionals :proud:

i agree with the pollarding of the willow, only a third thou. I dont want to top it 100% thats a crime against nature in my eyes and Shigos:cussing:. I will suggest the complete felling of the ash to the landlady and the council..the trees are in a conservation area. The willow makes good biodivirsity..lots of insects on it for the birds.

Cheers guys...even the non proffessionals :proud:

I know its not very Shigo to remove all the growth from a willow, but they do have a lot of stored energy and is imo a valid way of maintaining them if done appropiately.

I know its not very Shigo to remove all the growth from a willow, but they do have a lot of stored energy and is imo a valid way of maintaining them if done appropiately.

Agree! the tree has already been butcherd, cut back to the old nuckle and you'll get even regrowth.

You say on my tree pic thread more than 1/3 is harmfull and then here its ok double standards.

I agree with pollarding to the trunk to allow an even growth and willows are extreamly hardy and will survive such actions time and again.

If you read, i said its already been butcherd,so the damage is done,once you pollard you have to continue.:cheers:

You say on my tree pic thread more than 1/3 is harmfull and then here its ok double standards.

I agree with pollarding to the trunk to allow an even growth and willows are extreamly hardy and will survive such actions time and again.

Dear god mate people would take you more seriously if you stopped contradicting yourself and took a little time to read through the posts properly and look at the pictures !

The willow has been pollarded before what other choice is there other than to re-pollard ? :cheers: