Piccadilly tree work

Stuart Witt

Thanks Stuart. Like I said, mostly due to the politics etc I favour the smaller firms. I see you are in Squamish, I wouldnt have thought there was much in the way of tree work there, quite a drive to the next towns. Do you get up to Whistler for work? I will contact Davey and Bartletts but hope to have some other options to explore when I get there. I was intending on bringing all my kit, whats the cost of gear out there vs the uk?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Reg, I have looked at both Bartletts and Davey, I just seem to get on better with the smaller firms. I contract climb here, but I think a steady job out there will be the way forward. How does the industry fluctuate through the year? I did live in Van for a few months a few years ago and liked it but I just really fancy the island.

Cheers for the help.

Do you have residency Paddy, or work visa ?

Re: Vancouver island. Its probably the size on England and Wales but with a polulation of less than 750,000. Everything costs more, property, vehicles and most other thing for that matter, because its an island. 'Arboriculture' is pretty lowly regarded.....as are peoples appreciation for treework in general. Everybody knows somebody who's a faller or topper who'll cut your trees for beer money. So when I say its cut-throat, you'll lose a job over $20. There's lots of big trees on and around peoples properties....but they are seemingly the last thing on peoples mind.

You'd still get work here. Either for a single firm or contracting....but your options and earning capacity are so much more restricted. You dont drive far here before you hit the ocean, then what. Unlike mainland BC of which you could fit the whole of france inside several times.

Dont get me wrong, Im doing ok, considering....but its not been easy. Without a wife and kid, you might find it easier, less pressure.

Choosing Victoria instead of North Van ranks in the top 5 worst mistakes of my life. Its a beautiful place, but you cant live on scenery. Be glad to have a pint with you though, if you make it here.

Coming out on a Work Visa, with a view to staying. Sounds like it could be difficult, contracting especially. Certainly good to know before hand. I was swayed to the island because of its climate. Maybe thats not a good reason. Being on a work visa hopefully means I can have a try with other places too I guess. Will certainly give Victoria a try though. Always up for a beer cheers.

Coming out on a Work Visa, with a view to staying. Sounds like it could be difficult, contracting especially. Certainly good to know before hand. I was swayed to the island because of its climate. Maybe thats not a good reason. Being on a work visa hopefully means I can have a try with other places too I guess. Will certainly give Victoria a try though. Always up for a beer cheers.

lol, lotsa people move to Victoria to wind down their life and die it seems. If you're intent on coming though, let me know in advance and I might be able to help you out in one way or another. You should contact Dan Holiday also, another Brit. He has a website called the 'Climbing Arborist'. Good bloke by all accounts.

It's not difficult just give it all a go mate, with you travelling on your own it's probably a piece of cake.

If I was single I would not hesitate at going to the island then try mainland even the interior.

Well not sure thats what I'm coming for Reg, hope you arent there for that either!

Its not my first trip out there, wasnt in tree work the last time. But tree's have taken me around the world abit, and BC is next on the list. Not on my own, me and the girlfriend, but there's nothing tying us to anywhere. Cheers for the help anyways, best book a flight.