Novozymes products.

Swooop

Please feel free to interject :001_smile:

Firstly just to clarify the way we use mycorrhizae would normally be on a tree that is showing the early stages of decline, the trees are normally quite Mature and get the fully package of treatments available if the client is willing to spend the money.

Firstly a soil sample is collect and sent to an independent lab for analysis, the lab then produce a report based on the tree species with a break down of

1) Soil pH

2) Levels of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium

3) Amount of Organic material

4) Nutrient Retention Capacity

Its quite amazing what trees will grow in, and it goes back to the analogy about humans who can live on 1000 calories a day but what would happen if we try to compete in the Olympics? Some times you just need a bit more.

From this information a prescription is developed, so it’s not just fertilising any tree in a general fashion, which is a waste of money and can affect the existing fungi spores as D Mc has already said.

It’s no different than what farmers do to there fields?

The turf is removed, the soil is then de-compacted with an Airspade using a 150 cmf compressor the prescription is then adding to the soil and the area is then mulched, the mychorrizal spores are then added to the soil by injecting with water normally about 500 or 600 litres depending on the size of the tree at low pressure to ensure that the spores are not destroy.

The mycorrhzae spores only cost about 40 pounds.

Depending on the size of tree and what is required to be added for the prescription, this service could be 800 – 1200 pounds per mature tree, so 40 pounds is not a lot real?

So I don’t believe that it’s a waste of money, time or effort when. Really the time money and effort are so small in relation to the whole job.

And remember every little helps :001_tongue:

This system and method of tree management is taken straight from the ISA.

Meep

• 11 months later...

Maybe the question we should be asking in the first instance is

Is THIS tree in question excreting sugars from its roots?

If it isnt wasting product by activley "recruiting" then innoclulation would be a pointless excersise IMO

However, if there was a "recruitment" drive instigated by the roots with no Mycorrhizea present then it would be very worthwhile to innoculate.

I do agree however with Lee that providing the conditions and cultivating the potential is more viable.

One day I hope to try an epidermal root graft that has pressence of a Mycorrhizea association to a tree that has none and or transplant of sclerotia as i feel this may be the most efficient and thorough method of inoculation.

reliance on the viability of spores for inoculation is just too hit or miss for my tastes.

The unreliability of spores is proven, one only has to look at the spore counts of applanatum or the giant puffball to know that the pressence of a spore is no garauntee of a mycelia developing.

Maybe the question we should be asking in the first instance is

Is THIS tree in question excreting sugars from its roots?

If it isnt wasting product by activley "recruiting" then innoclulation would be a pointless excersise IMO

Interesting thread this.

Just 2 questions for you Hama.

1) Is there any evidence that trees 'recruit' myco's in this way?

2) Do you know what the test is - for roots excreting sugars ?

No ulterior motives here mate, just interested in threads about soil stuff.

Interesting thread this.

Just 2 questions for you Hama.

1) Is there any evidence that trees 'recruit' myco's in this way?

2) Do you know what the test is - for roots excreting sugars ?

No ulterior motives here mate, just interested in threads about soil stuff.

i)I thought this was a well known fact? thought to be around 30% of carb production dedicated to the recruitment and maintanence of a Mycorrhizea association, but trees only do this if their is low fertility within the soil

ii)I have no idea, all but a part of my personal thoughtful journey!

i)I thought this was a well known fact? thought to be around 30% of carb production dedicated to the recruitment and maintanence of a Mycorrhizea association, but trees only do this if their is low fertility within the soil

ii)I have no idea, all but a part of my personal thoughtful journey!

Cheers H. Not well known to me obviously:001_smile: Maybe I should hit the books more:confused1: