Running in a new 560xp

Marc Lewis

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once set a dead elm alight with sparks from a 372. Burned for 2/3 days during hot and windy weather. Poured gallons of water on it, but it did no good. Just kept re-lighting in the wind. Really was very dry, but rotten wood. Right next door to a school outdoor holiday Centre. Was rather embarrassed about it. I've noticed this problem on 2 husky 372's

Get those spark arrestors back on now!! haha good story

Thanks all

I have been thinking about this today, can it hurt to run the saw in for a couple of hours, and then set the auto tune?

Modern tolerances are very tight, but a couple of hours of gentle use to let the piston ring (or rings) bed in must be good.

Not running through the full rev range, or just idling may not be the best thing, but running v hard straight out of the box does worry me.

H-A

Just do as the manual says - I have seen varying results reported after not doing that, and some of them were not so good....

What should be avoided is excessive WOT out of wood, and prolonged cuts (like milling). Just do normal crosscutting at WOT in wood.

Edited by SawTroll

Set a dead elm alight this morning with my 576. The spark arrestor was in!

There's probably more sparks that come off a chainsaw's bar than the muffler. Only with the bar, you have the added benefit of there being oil next to the sparks(and now in the wood). I think more people set wood alight with the muffler being too close to it than anything else.

I got two new 560xpg this week, one the Old Man has and he's just started felling without doing the cutting for few mins setting the auto tune. I'll set mine as the manual says.

Will let you know if any difference in running after a bit. Both are on 15" 3/8 though I'd really like to put an 8 tooth sprocket on mine.

Cheers

D

- Took the spark arrestor out of both but put wee brass screw back in as it was blowing exhaust fumes straight onto chain brake handle and towards face.