Firewood frustrations

Big J

I supply all hard wood,have the odd awkward Customer that wants soft wood but very very few....sell 1.25m3 for £95 haven't had a single complaint about money or quality am I to cheap?

IMHO yes, others would I am sure disagree.

Premium product commands a premium price.

A

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slight tangent; my sheeting blew off my stack at home and I have been amazed at how the logs have absorbed water.

true, but that rain water will also come out in days in the correct environment (ie dry and well ventilated) rather than the months green wood takes to season.

Well I brought one of the boxes of rejected kiln dried spruce home last night and it's lovely. They are big lumps (18 inches long) and they last just as long as the hardwoods on the stove with the correct air flow. I got up this morning to a fire that was still alight, which is precisely the same as I'd have with Oak.

I suppose the greater problem is open fires - why on earth are they not illegal yet?

Again in praise of softwood/conifer.

I lit our Morso stove on Monday evening.

With 5 pieces of split conifer firewood, 10" long by 4 to 6" across, arranged around a limited amount of newspaper, i.e. about 1/2 a freebie paper.

No kindling what-so-ever, merely the split dry surface of the sticks.(which had been sitting beside the stove for 24 hrs)

It took immediately.

There was however a good draught.

marcus

I almost caught my yard on fire by throwing bone dry conifer on the stove. Shut it right down and it still got mighty hot.

OK, so the wood stack was too close to the stove. Lesson learnt. But it wouldn't have happened with hardwood! :lol:

My alarm system with a smoke alarm linked in paid for itself that day.

Again in praise of softwood/conifer.

I lit our Morso stove on Monday evening.

With 5 pieces of split conifer firewood, 10" long by 4 to 6" across, arranged around a limited amount of newspaper, i.e. about 1/2 a freebie paper.

No kindling what-so-ever, merely the split dry surface of the sticks.(which had been sitting beside the stove for 24 hrs)

It took immediately.

There was however a good draught.

marcus

No kindling! gensetsteve will be livid. :biggrin: