Tony Banner

What qualifications do you have, my recommendations and suggestions would depend on your response?

Re: Tree survey equipment

I have the nat cert in Arb level 2 and the technicians certificate in Arb level 3 for now. All goes well I'll be getting regular bs5837 and tree condition surveys, anything you can recommend or suggest would be great thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread.

Cheers Kev, I thought they'd be little call for climbing surveys but am missing the climbing, I just got sick of taking a chainsaw with me.

I've used pen and paper all through my tech cert, I need something better. What gps data logger you got? Where did you get it? Cheers for your help!

I seriously miss the climbing too, and the saw if I'm honest!

I use a Getac ps236, I like it. The battery lasts all day, gps signal is no problem, I think 1-3m is given, and hpod (if it means anything to you?) reading is normaly 0.7-1.8 average. My only gripe is its size, to big really for anything other than a large coat pocket- but thats because it also works as a smartphone and is fully rugged, which has saved it dying when I dropped it jumping over a water filled ditch!

It was a second hand ebay buy, but I think I'd look at the mobile mapper range for a similar price next time, as I think they also use Glonass (Russian) satellites to improve accuracy.

How are you getting on with the pear technology package?

I've started using their software too over the last few weeks. It's a good set of kit.

How do you get on with maps? Where possible I try to use cad maps with correct georeferencing but feel that any other maps just don't have the same level of detail or accuracy. Plus all the Trimble data works better with the management and mapping software.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'm loving the Pear gear, and I really can't find fault with the customer service - absolutely top notch :thumbup:

Map wise for safety surveys I find their OS based .mpd files ideal, I did try a few .dxf OS tiles from eMapsite which was cheaper. Trouble was the files were huge and I had to fiddle getting it to display clearly on the handheld.

The team there are very helpful converting cad dwg files from architects, which I suppose is my only gripe - ptmapper won't accept standard cad files, so you have to ask for dxf files (which are much larger than the equivalent dwg) with exploded blocks, which just confuses some architects!

I'd echo Scott's comments above. ArborTrail really is incredible cheap to get going now. The support is excellent and it takes about 5 minutes to convert a CAD drawing and send it to the device.

I've tried all sorts, you really need to integrate fully with your clients. If your output is not suitable for their purposes you'll end up reviewing drawings over and over again.

For BS5837 surveys, I am using a tablet to enter the information straight in to the spreadsheet that goes in to the appendix of my reports. It saves time cutting and pasting on the PC, and it's easier to type in to my tablet than it is on my handheld GPS.

I'm just annoyed that none of the tablet case manufacturers make a sturdy case for my Sony tablet - I'm probably going to end up buying an Ipad just so I can get a decent waterproof bump case for it, grrrr.

For BS5837 surveys, I am using a tablet to enter the information straight in to the spreadsheet that goes in to the appendix of my reports. It saves time cutting and pasting on the PC, and it's easier to type in to my tablet than it is on my handheld GPS.

I'm just annoyed that none of the tablet case manufacturers make a sturdy case for my Sony tablet - I'm probably going to end up buying an Ipad just so I can get a decent waterproof bump case for it, grrrr.

If your going to buy an ipad and a decent case mighg be worth looking at rugged tablets. Theres a good range for not a lot more than ipad plus waterproof case. Check out Motion and Getac rugged tablets, both available with either Windows or Android, I think.

Another bonus would be you could ditch the handheld gps as the rugged tablets can have it as an option, and only have one bit of gear to carry...

Edited by sloth

If your going to buy an ipad and a decent case mighg be worth looking at rugged tablets. Theres a good range for not a lot more than ipad plus waterproof case. Check out Motion and Getac rugged tablets, both available with either Windows or Android, I think.

Another bonus would be you could ditch the handheld gps as the rugged tablets can have it as an option, and only have one bit of gear to carry...

Thanks Kevin - yes, they are worth considering if they can double up with GPS.

I used the Motion CL900 at my last job but didn't rate it very highly - that was about £900. The thing is I can get an ipad mini for £220 plus a case for £20-50....

I'm using the motion tablet as it meets the requirements of surveying contract we have. Havent used it in heavy yet but it seems to be OK for what I need. Its also fast enough to run the desk top version of Arbor Cad which is a bonus.

Previously I was using the much smaller gd3070 rugged tablet by general dymamics. It wasn't anywhere near as fast but is great for collecting survey info on xcel or word and is very rugged. I'm going to put this on ebay soon unless I get any offers? The gps and the camera need the drivers re-installing and I only have a car charger for it. If anyone wants it I'd sell it for a sensible offer