Please help me with whatever is killing this Eucalyptus tree

munksapprentice

This is a stunning tree and from about 6ft the tree splits off into 5 main limbs. This fungus is climbing up 1 limb and has killed it off. The others seem healthy at the moment. Will it possibly spread?? Is there anything I can do to stop it??

Any help would be very much appreciated as i am a little lost with this one.

Thank you

IMG_1172.jpg.6a9c427cbfa376ffeeed0285b1e3565b.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg.d3847567f5bf0191a354daf27658006a.jpg

Hello

I can't really tell from these images what crust species the fungi is, but it is more than likely a secondary issue on the tree.

I would think that this is a saprophytic species taking advantage of the vascular tissue that has possibly become dysfunctional due to another issue.

You haven't really shown or told us what's going on at the base of the tree where the roots interface with the trunk.

Perhaps take some more shots and have a careful investigation at the base of the tree with a trowel to see if there is a root issue.

Thank you for your help guys. On initial inspection I did not really notice anything untoward's around the trunk other than some bark lifting. The rest of the tree seems very healthy. The customer wants the tree reducing due to a problematic neighbor complaining but he also showed concern that if I thought whatever had killed off the limb would spread to the others, he would rather remove the full tree and plant a replacement elsewhere in his garden. I could not give him an honest answer as I did not know it.

Tomorrow I will call in again and have a closer inspection and take some more photos and post them as any help you can offer really is very much appreciated.

Howzabout determining the compass orientation to the tree?

Is that orange fuzz on the north side? The shadiest side?

When I can't ID something growing on a client's tree, I take a sample to my local county plant pathology lad for analysis and ID. A week later both the client and I can go over a fact based report, then make an informed plan of action.

Would be ridiculous to cut down such a large mature euc cuz orange moss was growing on its north side.

There again, could be Phytopthera and need removal ASAP.

Corroborating second opinions and facts make you worth repeat biz.

Thanks for posting Munk.

jomoco

Apologies for the lateness of my reply, I only happened to pass by the job again yesterday.

I saw nothing untowards growing around the base of the trunk. There has been no recent landscaping around the tree either. The bark around the base seems to be lifting slightly though and sounds hollow when you tap it, however the wood underneath still seems very solid.

Apart from the one main limb that has died off the rest of the canopy seems very heathy.

The customer told me that the limb died off very quickly last summer. He also told me that he had been speaking to friends in Oz and they had told him that the Euc tree's can sacrifice a limb at times of distress. This I know nothing about personally.

Oh and the fungus is mainly growing on the south side of the trunk but it spirals around as it goes up the tree.

Again, any help is very much appreciated guys. Thank you

IMG_1186.jpg.277f0c14a4216f2510bc6a1a329bad1f.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg.5ad48a53311b82f93f166b9154e4d461.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg.1dfd30db9150bb4ec857274905b6b8eb.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg.aad2934784d89283a506148b3e4f7173.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg.6816b2ef49c9cb3e051b7571d71ec4e1.jpg

The tree it's self looks like i's in a rather damp and wet position which most fungi obviously love and ideal growing conditions. The or their question I would like to ask is a slight move away from your main point in question. How far is the tree from the house? I ask this because you may have another issue with the tree if it is within 15to 20mtrs of any house as the root system of a Euc can cause major damage to foundations of any structure with in this kind of distance in which case it would be advise able to remove it and kill the root system asweii. It looks like a good size tree so thee root system will be 3to 4 times the volume of the tree. Just a little more info for you to consider.

I've seen loads or Euc mortality due to the two cold winters which preceeded this one. That syndrome of saprophytes could well just be feeding on tissue killed off by the cold. Given the tree's size and crown condition, as well as the extent of the colonisation of various fungi and mechanical issues (delamination of timber in the stem) I'd be looking to remove the tree fairly sharpish.

From the pics it seems that dead limb you speak of is the/a central leader. :001_huh:

Use a mallet or hammer to tap the crusty section. Now tap next to that and listen for the thud of solid wood. Also scratch that solid wood. If it is not green or white underneath it may be fairly dead.

Don't mind jomoco; he lives in a dry climate and does not have to manage fungus often. He's an expert on support though. :thumbup:

Edited by treeseer