How is it tacho/operators license exempt?

Paul Smith

I was told the forest/agri exemption did not apply to my Iveco, just mogs etc.

Not true I have a Merc 814 curtain side 7.5 tonne. Agri exempt and no need for O licence so long as all the goods I carry belong to the farm. ie no doing a barrow job for the next door farmer. Was pulled at Chelford monthly farm auction by an ignorant officer but after 2 hours of arguing and direct contact with the Chadderton VOSA test station I received an apology from the officer and allowed to go. Unfortunately by this time the goods in the auction sale I was after had been sold.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same thing mate, the chasis are made so they can be used for different things, hense the 5200kg, so when they are brought into the country they should be downrated, i had mine for over a year until this was picked up, at first they said i had to get spring clamps and stuff and a whole lot more, it ended up just being a change in the log book. simples.

You have opened the bigest can of worms there is. There are so many clauses that there is ABSOLOUTELY NO SET RULE THAT COVERS EVERY VEHICLE. You need to get in touch with DVLA and they will set you straight, as long as you are totally honest. Someone said VOSA were ok to deal with????????????????????? What planet are you on mate. They are a non-government private enterprise that is made up of small minded people who are so bitter about i dont know what that they spend their days scoring cheap points by hammering drivers for bullpoo excuses just to justify their pathetic existence. Rant over.

Hi, Just seen an Iveco daily 4910. The owners says its plated at 5200kg but "THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PLATED TACOGRAPH EXEMPT,SO THERE NO NEED FOR AN OPERATORS LICENSE ,CAN DRIVE ON A CAR LICENSE". His words not mine.

I don't think this can be right? he says he has filled out a form when he had it MOT'd.

Does anyone know the legalities?

you can get a vehicle down rated just by filling a form out at a vosa centre. so change 5.2 ton plate to 3.5 ton you just cant run it over 3.5 ton without breaking the law .the only other way i know is to get it plated special types and you could run it on red aswell.

• 5 months later...
Hi, Just seen an Iveco daily 4910. The owners says its plated at 5200kg but "THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PLATED TACOGRAPH EXEMPT,SO THERE NO NEED FOR AN OPERATORS LICENSE ,CAN DRIVE ON A CAR LICENSE". His words not mine.

I don't think this can be right? he says he has filled out a form when he had it MOT'd.

Does anyone know the legalities?

When I got my operators licence, two vosa men, friends of my fathers came and visited me, we discussed this sort of thing, they said you can call your self agricultural exempt,plant or tacho exempt, this that and the other!

But if they pull you and they disagree, you're going to court and your vehicle will be impounded! simple as that, there words not mine!

You have opened the bigest can of worms there is. There are so many clauses that there is ABSOLOUTELY NO SET RULE THAT COVERS EVERY VEHICLE. You need to get in touch with DVLA and they will set you straight, as long as you are totally honest. Someone said VOSA were ok to deal with????????????????????? What planet are you on mate. They are a non-government private enterprise that is made up of small minded people who are so bitter about i dont know what that they spend their days scoring cheap points by hammering drivers for bullpoo excuses just to justify their pathetic existence. Rant over.

I am on the planet that talks to people. When I visited VOSA they where human and helpfull. People should do as they see fit and live with it. I will comply with what I have been told and live with it.

The VOSA office I visited was at the opposite end of the country from you so we may not have spoken to the same person.

Oh ****, I forgot to tar everyone with the same brush!