How is it tacho/operators license exempt?

Paul Smith

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Just seen an Iveco daily 4910. The owners says its plated at 5200kg but "THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PLATED TACOGRAPH EXEMPT,SO THERE NO NEED FOR AN OPERATORS LICENSE ,CAN DRIVE ON A CAR LICENSE". His words not mine.

I don't think this can be right? he says he has filled out a form when he had it MOT'd.

Does anyone know the legalities?

Friends of my Father came round my house one day, 2 VOSA roadside inspectors,I had a few questions relating to my own ''O'' license, I asked a question like the one above, they said , you can register a vehicle to whatever you want, but when we pull you over, if your not straight or you're trying to pull the wool, we'll either fine you or squash your motor or both! and that came from the horses mouth!

The Iveco owner is an idiot, he'll find out the hard way,and good job!

Edited by Lee Winger

Operators Licences are quite simple to get, contact your local Area Traffic Office, they will send you out the forms to fill in, get a suitable yard to keep the truck at, make sure you have enough funds in bank to maintain the truck( Need to show copy of bank statement or a letter from your bank manager), keep vehicle maintenance records(You can maintain the vehicle yourself, dont need service contracts), and then happily sail past the other Tree Boys in their overloaded little trucks

The tacho exemption applies to the use you are putting the vehicle to, we run 7.5 tonners all on exemptons.

Tacho exemption only applies, to restricted operaters, not exceeding a distance of 50 from the operating center.....

though reading back on your post you know that..

Edited by Lee Winger