How is it tacho/operators license exempt?

Paul Smith

Hi, Just seen an Iveco daily 4910. The owners says its plated at 5200kg but "THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PLATED TACOGRAPH EXEMPT,SO THERE NO NEED FOR AN OPERATORS LICENSE ,CAN DRIVE ON A CAR LICENSE". His words not mine.

I don't think this can be right? he says he has filled out a form when he had it MOT'd.

Does anyone know the legalities?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the vehicle is over 3500kg it must be tested at one of the VOSA test stations- on the day of your test you can ask to have the vehicle tacho exempt, a simple self explanitory A4 form to tick a box and sign at the end ( go for the Forestry/agricultural Box).BUT being over 3500kg you will need an Operators Licence, albeit a restricted one (orange disk)

Hi, Just seen an Iveco daily 4910. The owners says its plated at 5200kg but "THE TRUCK HAS BEEN PLATED TACOGRAPH EXEMPT,SO THERE NO NEED FOR AN OPERATORS LICENSE ,CAN DRIVE ON A CAR LICENSE". His words not mine.

I don't think this can be right? he says he has filled out a form when he had it MOT'd.

Does anyone know the legalities?

Just going through the operator licence stuff with my Iveco.

If it is 5.3T and not down rated as far as I know and have been told by VOSA it will need:

Operators licence (can be retricted for arb if you do not carry other peoples goods for profit. You still need to jump through the same hoops and at the same cost as a full operators licence)

A calibrated tacho (you can claim exemprion under similar conditions to above provided you do not travel further than 50km from your base, but will not pass MOT without one)

It aint worth getting it wrong, ask for advice from VOSA, they are actually human!

As the vehicle is over 3500kg it must be tested at one of the VOSA test stations- on the day of your test you can ask to have the vehicle tacho exempt, a simple self explanitory A4 form to tick a box and sign at the end ( go for the Forestry/agricultural Box).BUT being over 3500kg you will need an Operators Licence, albeit a restricted one (orange disk)

I was told the forest/agri exemption did not apply to my Iveco, just mogs etc.

Is this truck in Kent ? The reason I ask is because the self same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I walked away cos it was suss.

yeah thats the one!

contact DVLA i had a similar problem with my lift platform , the seller in my case was correct and even tho it has a tacho it does not require an opperators liscense , however it does require you to have catagory c1 to drive it or pree 1997 liscense

hope this helps you

How does the above make it exempt?

I have looked at the Vosa guideline and I am sure it would need an operators license. I will check with DVLA.