Wood Pasture

Are these terms definitive or local names (or both)?

I have lived in Surrey all but two of my years so they may be local. I associate rue and shaw with surrey-west sussex and hanger with Hampshire.

Coppice I presume can be a noun and a verb.

Probably but whilst I might say "that is a nice cant of chestnut coppice" I wouldn't say that coppice on yonder hill but rather that copse.

"Spinney or spinny...a copse or small clump of trees, from the Latin 'spinetum' a thorn hedge which derives from 'spina' meaning thorn" according to Chambers dickshonnery.

They were wrong there then because a copse is by definition a wood that has been under coppice management, the terms copse, coppice and coup all derive from the French to cut. Spinney need not have been under any management

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were wrong there then because a copse is by definition a wood that has been under coppice management, the terms copse, coppice and coup all derive from the French to cut. Spinney need not have been under any management

Chambers also says....coppice or copse..a dense thicket of trees and bushes especially one used for periodical cutting of twigs and branches......... From late Latin colpare to cut

I'd go with you on this though, although where I grew up (North Yorks) a copse was also a small scrubby wooded area, but that was before I knew about coppicing, so maybe I would have argued!

Get in touch with the Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust -http://www.ydmt.org/about-us/the-team. They will be keen to offer assistance as woodland pasture will be a priority habitat.

Good luck sounds like a great scheme.

Whereabouts are you?

Thanks for the suggestion, however I am working with the National Park, who work closely with the YDMT. I have a good working relationship with the YDMT with whom we did a fair size scheme with a couple of years ago and which resulted in the first Carbon Certified woodland in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

I live at the junction of Swaledale and Arkengarthdale 700 ft up below Fremington Edge, quite nice really!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestion, however I am working with the National Park, who work closely with the YDMT. I have a good working relationship with the YDMT with whom we did a fair size scheme with a couple of years ago and which resulted in the first Carbon Certified woodland in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

I live at the junction of Swaledale and Arkengarthdale 700 ft up below Fremington Edge, quite nice really!

Lovely part of the world!

We have a mate lives over the hill in Hawes (Hardraw), will give you a yell next time we are up there!

Bet you have a covering this morning!

At least your mates blessed with a good pub, The Green Dragon. Mark the owner used to have one of the pubs in our village, cracking bloke.

Yes we have a covering of snow, but if am more concerned about the wind later, looks like I may be busy tomorrow?

PM sent

Edited by corylus