Concrete fence post question!

Big T

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't need to cut the tops or bottoms off of any post to get the fence level, just dig the holes accordingly! Slotted posts are easy to get the right height as you have got the gravel board to take the height off. The recessed concrete posts are slightly harder but if you set your string line up so it lines up with the bolt holes on the posts & put every post in by the string line/bolt holes. The only time ive ever needed to cut posts down is when theres something like a pipe in the bottom of the hole.

Your talking post n panels I take it. If 6 ft panels you want 9 ft slot posts. With a 6 inch shingle board.you need a 2ft 6 whole deep hole. Set first post with post mix, sets 5 mins.set shingle board across ground, level with packers. Then dig next whole 3 ft from top of shingle board. Fix post. Make sure post mix comes up higher enough to under side shingle board. Repeat till back aches. Oh then drop panels in later. No propping. Specially if windy. One bag per hole only.

What he said :thumbup1:

i havn't read every reply but saw someone mentioned putting the panels in after the posts so thought I would give my method incase you find it easier..

6ft fence = 8ft post, 6" gravel board, 5ft 6 panel (unless its in a windy area then I go for 9ft posts)

start fence at highest end (assuming its not level)

post in at the correct measured height (I normally leave posts 10mm higher than panels) string line up with temporary stake at other end..

gravel board down to mark next hole, hole dug (guesses a little deeper than needed) post plonked in hole, gravel board levelled then panel put on, post then pushed up / adjust height as needed / level to line and fix..

step as needed when gravel boards need making up to match the one prior, if you need several steps try to uniform them, ie 3 panels then drop an inch or whatever.. :001_smile:

i havn't read every reply but saw someone mentioned putting the panels in after the posts so thought I would give my method incase you find it easier..

6ft fence = 8ft post, 6" gravel board, 5ft 6 panel (unless its in a windy area then I go for 9ft posts)

start fence at highest end (assuming its not level)

post in at the correct measured height (I normally leave posts 10mm higher than panels) string line up with temporary stake at other end..

gravel board down to mark next hole, hole dug (guesses a little deeper than needed) post plonked in hole, gravel board levelled then panel put on, post then pushed up / adjust height as needed / level to line and fix..

step as needed when gravel boards need making up to match the one prior, if you need several steps try to uniform them, ie 3 panels then drop an inch or whatever.. :001_smile:

Same was i do it, couldn't have put it better myself!

How do you guys measure the hole depth? I've got a BT spade with a 2 foot 6 inch mark on it and it has made digging holes so much easier, I used to just guess and it was always a right pain having to dig.

I have 2 pieces of insulation tape on the handle of the digging spades, one for 9fts and one for eights ..there both ah inch deeper than needed to give some play if deeded..