My sob story

Andymacp9

A few dealers of both husky and stihl have said that they don't recommend any Oregon 2 stroke oils and I know husky won't do any engine repairs on saws that have used it within the year warranty period.I know of a few guys who use it and saws have seized and that was the response from stihl. I have always used xp oil on all autotune saw and never had and scoring or bearing issues.

Apparently they can tell because the Oregon stains the internal parts red.

This may have been your issue.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago, we had a spate of scored chainsaws arrive one after another for repair. We started to question the owners and they had all got their petrol from the same garage. As they went into pay, they also bought a bottle of 2 stroke oil that had a moped pictured on front. This was a mineral oil that was only suitable for use at 25:1 and certainly no good in chainsaws. The long term cure was to sell the garage a few boxes of Oregon semi synthetic 2 stroke oil, and no more scored saws appeared .

The moral is that filling station 2 stroke oil is generally poor quality and not suitable for landscape equipment. Generally only semi synthetic or full synthetic 2 stroke oil is suitable for professional use at 50:1 and if it doesn't say synthetic on the bottle it wont be.

On the subject of piston and barrels, I would certainly try cleaning up the barrel with light abrasive and then fit a new genuine piston and rings which shouldn't be too dear. Tecomec brand also gives good reults

I'm glad I've looked this post now as I've just bought 2 bottles of comma 2 stroke mineral ( the one with the wee moped) for the 365 but think it'll be going in the old 357 now

i'm glad i've looked this post now as i've just bought 2 bottles of comma 2 stroke mineral ( the one with the wee moped) for the 365 but think it'll be going in the old 357 now

i would pour it in your fuel tank if you have a diesel motor or use it on your gate hinge but dont use it in a saw

I saved up all my pennies last year and bought myself a shiny new 372xp.

Been using it 4 months and I cut out mid cut this week. Took it to my local shop where I bought it and they've told me the cylinder and piston are knackered through scoring on the exhaust side and the rings have seized on the piston. He reckoned it was bad fuel or bad mix.I was quoted £450 to repair it.

We always measure out the mix carefully and try to avoid supermarket petrol.

Anyway I was hoping somone could point me in the direction of a cheaper way of getting it fixed.

Thanks in advance

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear your bad news. This is another case were the extra cost of Aspen would have saved money and loads of time. Please try Aspen and let me know how you get on.

No warranty problems if you use Aspen as Husqvarna run every 2-stroke on Aspen and Stihl say the use of Aspen does not affect their warranty.

Every can has a number and we guarantee the mix every time!

Good luck with getting you kit back to working order.

Kind regards

Eddie