Tree removal on conservation area development site post planning consent

Calibre_Consultancy

Hi all.

I have a client with a site that has an existing consent, won on appeal, for a number of units (which they are to replan with new application) with no conditions relating to tree felling, protection etc

The site is in a conservation area and I'm not sure if separate consent for felling / access pruning works would be required for removal of any trees due to the re-plan of layout. ?

Am I right in thinking, that they will have to show any significant trees to be removed as part of the new site application which will be subject to approval?

Thanks for any input

Tree removal in a Conservation Area never needs 'approval', you have to notify the Council of intention to do the works and the only way they can stop you doing it is to put a Tree Preservation Order on the tree(s) or negotiate their retention as part of a planning consent.

A new application will allow the Council to consider the effect of the development on trees in the new context. I would think that if no measures TPOs or planning conditions) to prevent the necessary removal of trees in the current consent were needed, the situation might be the same for the new application.

If the removal of the treees for the existing consent is necessary (not just desireable or convenient), they can be removed now with impunity.

Hi all.

Am I right in thinking, that they will have to show any significant trees to be removed as part of the new site application which will be subject to approval?

Sorry, I din't answer the question. The answer is of course yes. You have to start from scratch, save that the principle of development for your proposed use at the density that has been approved has been established.The COuncil woud be unwise to revisit the use, the density and the suitability for development by refusing a new application. Any trees that have to go because of the revised layout but didn't have to for the old layout will have to be considered afresh. And any trees that don't have to be removed for the new layout but had to for the old layout could be retained if the Council thought it appropriate.