what log splitter to buy and avoid

John in Scotland

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my good friend sean has a 27 ton one from rock machinery i think it was £12/1400 i,ve used it a few times its a petrol version by the way uses about a gall a day all depends how hard you work it etc as i,am just a plodder and dont punish machinery anyway he,s had it a couple years now no problems at all i also think rock have a website too and have new models coming out all the time check them out

Rock could well be the way for me to go as they are based about 6 miles from me.

What are your views on their splitters

Rather than hire I think that buying something is for me.

Do you tend to use a splitter for the big stuff and then use an axe for speed, or use the splitter always?

Rock could well be the way for me to go as they are based about 6 miles from me.

What are your views on their splitters

Rather than hire I think that buying something is for me.

Do you tend to use a splitter for the big stuff and then use an axe for speed, or use the splitter always?

HI JON how many tons are you doing mate posch dalen are good splitter mate thanks jon

I'm new to splitters have only used axe and chainsaw but looking into part time work doing firewood to sell. all sizes including large oak and beech. However pricewise I don't want to go mad as I'm just starting out. I'm happy to use an axe for smallstuff if it's quicker and of course anything really difficult could be sawn.

so budget...3 figures..I can always upgrade later.

I'm new to splitters have only used axe and chainsaw but looking into part time work doing firewood to sell. all sizes including large oak and beech. However pricewise I don't want to go mad as I'm just starting out. I'm happy to use an axe for smallstuff if it's quicker and of course anything really difficult could be sawn.

so budget...3 figures..I can always upgrade later.

HI JON are you looking to run off tractor thanks jon

Well rock , maybe the way to go then spare parts are just round the corner but try and go for a road towable one if funds let you but so far the rock one i used was ok but then again i have not used any others to compare but think they have some videos on youtube

I have a Wallenstein, it’s excellent in almost every way, apart from the ergonomics.

In the horizontal position you are hunched over and as there is nowhere to put the rings you are currently splitting, you end up bending over and picking up logs all day long. In the vertical position life becomes easier but to get some speed up you’re on your knees all day and reaching up for the handles.

If I bought again I would have no hesitation buying a Wallenstein for it’s components, however I’d want a waist height splitter with a big table and a log lift. This would be my ideal towable log splitter [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu3ksd3Rrx0]Homemade log splitter - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Nick Watkins