Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Having had experience of a HSE investigation if you kept your mouth shut they wouldn’t know if the saw was altered they only look for chain catcher, chain break, stop switch maintenance records, training and issued and signed for PPE they didn’t even start or run the saw. Personally I think I could have shown him a disc cutter and he would have been none the wiser 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dumper said:

Having had experience of a HSE investigation if you kept your mouth shut they wouldn’t know if the saw was altered they only look for chain catcher, chain break, stop switch maintenance records, training and issued and signed for PPE they didn’t even start or run the saw. Personally I think I could have shown him a disc cutter and he would have been none the wiser 

That is a good point. You won't get anyone from the HSE who knows his backside from his elbow. You'd have to rely on the possibly injured employee not to mention it though. 

16 minutes ago, dumper said:

We had a jobsworth, I mean HSE, turn up onsite once.  I was up a big oak tree and all the kit was laid out on the garden.  Spill mat for the fuel etc.  Rescue kit and first aid and all the RA and MS in a waterproof folder.  Pretty much a perfect site.

Mr HSE starts going through everything and cannot find a problem, apart from one of the saws.  Which happened to be one of my ported saws.  

He picked up on the fact that the stickers were missing.   OMG shock horror, no stickers!  The company owner just said, that is the guy up the trees saw, he is from the North and very grumpy.  No one else is allowed to touch his saws let alone start them.

The HSE said ok and went on looking for more problems which he didn’t find.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I guess the lack of power on an 881 is also down to cooling etc? If you had a 125 air cooled engine running tits out like you do with a saw she ain't going to last long? 

Yup, full power Aprilia RS125s have been known to make upwards of 30bhp, but that's a liquid cooled motor with a 300x300 radiator designed to run in a 70 mph cold air stream so I'd imagine that raises the power ceiling significantly!

8cac78f49e877c4d80c65d919290f37b.jpg

• Like 1

@Rich Rule 

That’s cool you said that, it’s people like that,  that give a lot of other people a bad reputation.

I can’t remember where I read it, but some hs guy on the railway picked up on a very little hole in a mesh visor, and he pushed his pen through it, and said this could be a bit of wood that hits you in the eye. the guy who’s helmet it was spoke out and said I wear glasses, but he still had to get the spare helmet out. Bloody jobs worth hs guy, and yes the stickers tell you a lot of things if you know wtf the symbols mean.

anyhow ported saws are great, just don’t knock it till you tried one.👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

Yup, full power Aprilia RS125s have been known to make upwards of 30bhp, but that's a liquid cooled motor with a 300x300 radiator designed to run in a 70 mph cold air stream so I'd imagine that raises the power ceiling significantly!

8cac78f49e877c4d80c65d919290f37b.jpg

I guess other factors like stroke, weight/size of parts, exhaust system sizes etc etc 

Well, yr spud ported saw will run abt same chainspeed ( dictates yr class of trouser) bit noisier ( red banded ear muffs) puWeR don't  allow modification of tools, unless a factory modification. Just say you " took it to this guy who serviced it, and now it runs really great"   😉😉  K

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Well, yr spud ported saw will run abt same chainspeed ( dictates yr class of trouser) bit noisier ( red banded ear muffs) puWeR don't  allow modification of tools, unless a factory modification. Just say you " took it to this guy who serviced it, and now it runs really great"   😉😉  K

There we go then; if PUWER doesn't allow modified equipment, we have our answer. You shouldn't be using a ported saw for work. 

Having said that, we seem to have also concluded that HSE inspectors are a bunch of monkeys who wouldn't know a 200t from a bag or potatoes. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

There we go then; if PUWER doesn't allow modified equipment, we have our answer. You shouldn't be using a ported saw for work. 

Having said that, we seem to have also concluded that HSE inspectors are a bunch of monkeys who wouldn't know a 200t from a bag or potatoes. 

I know of one case that involved a fatality where HSE asked for expert advice regarding the saw.

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

puWeR don't  allow modification of tools, unless a factory modification. 

I thought that was an urban myth.  :- )

Don’t suppose you have a reference?

Edited by Bolt
Added a smile because I’m all friendly and not in any way a troll xx