Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Honestly, I'm not getting any younger. I wandered round the woods for the last nine years with an ms440. Thought it was light weight compared to an 051/075?

Bought a new ms261 about 4 months back, it's ok but lacks real grunt.

The .325 chain seems to blunt a lot quicker than 3/8

Got a new ms461 two weeks ago, not much difference to an ms661 in weight.

Arm stretcher.

Hence a gap in my saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I quite like the 261 despite what folk say about them , don't know if I would buy one personally but I really like the way they handle dressing out sticks.. question is do you port a new saw still in warranty ??? I recon a muffler mod would wake it up enough to feel the difference then a full port job once your 12 months is up, if it goes bang it would not take a lot to swap over a muffler from a second hand one... I would trust spud enough though to give him a brand new saw ,he's fixed plenty of my old dogs up.... Using one of his ported 560's today up a tree that was falling to bits and it sure beats using a bigger heavier saw when your gaffs are kicking out in white mushy oak cambium.

Honestly, I'm not getting any younger. I wandered round the woods for the last nine years with an ms440. Thought it was light weight compared to an 051/075?

Bought a new ms261 about 4 months back, it's ok but lacks real grunt.

The .325 chain seems to blunt a lot quicker than 3/8

Got a new ms461 two weeks ago, not much difference to an ms661 in weight.

Arm stretcher.

Hence a gap in my saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I've got a spud ported 357xp that I've recently converted to 3/8 chain with 15" Sugi bar.

It is amazing, doesn't bog/slow even with the full bar buried.

I'm thinking of trying a 20" bar with a skip chain for ringing up bigger stuff.

I much prefer it to the 550/560's we've got at work.

Light, fast pickup and reliable 👍🏻

Best saws Iv used that have been ported are (Iv used more but these are the ones that stand out )

Husq 357 ported is a nice saws

Husq 372 ported is a great saw

My 020 spud ported is mental

200t ported is good

Used a husq 395 ported quite a bit of difference to a standard one

My favourite ported saw must be a stihl 064 amazing saw

Iv not used a 560 ported yet but a standard one is pretty good so know spud would get a lot more out of one

Hope that helps a bit

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TreeswingerPerth said:

Big thanks to Spud ,

just repaired and ported my newer of two 066's . It's going really well 4 tanks of fuel today and I'm really chuffed with it .

This is the 3rd port job he has done for me and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Thanks a million again Steve .

Always a pleasure, glad it is going well now after that nip up seize the piston had, I did mean to send it to you but forgot to put it in the box. The Meteor ones are a damn good replacement and as good as OEM in my opinion. It should get even better once that piston has bedded in fully.

Cheers