Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Maybe a daft question:

If you had a ported saw and an accident with it at work,

Would your insurance be valid as the saw is not per manufacturers spec?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If you'd fitted a different bar or a full chisel chain would they refuse to cover you ? Can't see why making the saw better would make a difference plus I doubt if insurance would strip the saw to see if the ports are standard.

If you mod your car, it's invalid.

Not always. I insure a 1971 Aussie Charger with Rods and Sods. I can mod as much as I like, I just have to tell them what I've done and it costs nothing extra. Same as many classic insurance policies.

As a matter of interest, many of the saws I get in for porting have worn brake bands and missing chain catchers etc. These are known safety features and should be checked to make sure they are serviceable regularly!!

The point I am making is that the saw may work faster after modification but the safety systems are also returned to full working condition. Also, I tach the saw to WITHIN the manufacturers maximum limit (albeit closer to the maximum than normal) as it ensures engine protection so you have a more powerful saw, operating within the manufacturers parameters with serviced safety features....that's my defence and it is always the users choice to modify or not for competition or daily use, domestic or commercial!

I would say that most of my "tuning" customers find a ported saw safer than non ported as it does heavier work using a lighter saw, less fatigue on the body and less time actually cutting!

Thanks spud, I have a very basic understanding of porting. I've read several hundred posts in your porting thread, and I'm quite interested in having you port one of my saws at some point.

Is an 880 worth porting?

Can you put a bigger top end on?

Or not worth it?

Not done much on 880s TBH, I am guessing they are already big and powerful but rarely used. Never seem a big bore for them and don't particularly like cheap Cylinder kits on saws that kick out that much power and will cost £££££ to repair if the kit fails.

I tend to service them and get them back to scratch that way - generally they have oiler issues or have seized through old fuel!

Thanks spud, I've never heard of an 880 ported or modded either.

My 261 & 661 are both mtronic, and my 461 is only two weeks old.

I run all my work saws on motomix/aspen now.

Is a 461 any good for porting? Or do I have to buy another saw just to port?

[emoji57]