Bracing a tree for its Habitat value

David Humphries

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair question,

I'm not a lichenologist unfortunately but imagine its the age of the host (this one being around half a millenium) that is critical for the conditions required for this particular lichen.

The surrounding trees are young in comparison and do not provide the same growing environment .......yet

mmm, not making life easy for itself is it.

Presumably with man out of the picture there would have been a lot more of these older trees ??

Nature does work in mysterious ways

mmm, not making life easy for itself is it.

Presumably with man out of the picture there would have been a lot more of these older trees ??

Nature does work in mysterious ways

Although pollarding happens naturally in storms etc, Man has created the vast majority of these old beech pollards in the UK.

The problem is that this practice has all but ceased (small amount still going on in Sweden, Spain and a few other places) and the pollards are now so far lapsed that it is difficult to bring them back into a viable cycle.

This means that the ones we have left are becoming a scarce & dwindling biomass of habitat for the organisms that live on & within them.

Worth conserving I believe

ok, that being the case, would this lichen have developed without human intervention??

Must be an interesting study for the lichenologists if this is the case.

Who knows, it is a natural phenomenom but a rarity I imagine.

Not many Lichenologists around as I understand it (bit like Mycologists really) particularly ones who can get up on a trunk or in to a canopy, but an interesting case study for sure.

Clarification

In the video I have stated that the bracing used is a particular brand, it is actually a system that has recently been developed by treeworker.

For further information please contact Nod at.....

Tree Climbing Equipment Online Shop - Treeworker.co.uk - Treeworker home

IMG_7930.jpg.a67ce88204f940816bb703390781c927.jpg

IMG_7921.jpg.c5f8ba96360cb0e94d42b0d57fd7697f.jpg

Hello Sean, happy new year to you.

Relatively little fiscal resource actually spent on this particular operation, as my team is funded from a different budget from Burnhams. (We see our time spent there as developing training) So really only the materials and Nods time. Value for money in terms of the natural resource that is being maintained.

Have you noticed many instances of bracing in New Zealand since you've been over there?

Hi David hope the new year is good for you and yours....No I have not seen much bracing here, like Oz it seems (to me at least) that cable bracing whether static or dynamic has not gained enough recognition as a useful tool in certain circumstances to conserve tree architecture rather than using a saw.