Which edible fungi

Mesterh

Brilliant! Really glad this thread has popped up again. Haven't seen it before and was thinking of asking David if it would be OK to include possible edibles on the "Tis the season...." thread.

Kevin, edibles are not really my area.

I've only ever tried a hand full of species out in the kitchen and wouldn't be confident to suggest identifications for AT members gastronomic benefit based purely on pictures.

Collecting and eating wild fungi is obviously a serious & potentially dangerous activity.

The Id's I share on this site are to the best of my knowledge correct but I've found along the way that errors and omissions can't be ruled-out.

There is after all somewhere in the region of 15000 species in the UK alone.

At the end of the day its everyone's own responsibility to make sure of the safety of anything they choose to ingest.

I've found the most useful way to expand my own knowledge on species identification is to find a local mycologist (luckily I have a good one literally a couple of streets away) and start up a mutually beneficial relationship giving them heads ups on interesting finds and then asking them for confirmation on ones I'm not too sure on.

There's also a number of good online forums including the British Mycological Society's Facebook page.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...