are there machinery grants

carpenter1

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Register as a farmer. They get all the money. Yet to meet a poor one!

You must know some very lucky farmers, I hardly know any that aren't struggling or working other jobs to keep the farm going.

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Just don’t go with HSBC for your bounce back loan!!

If you have internet banking, use the live chat to give them a reminder, we waited 10 days then 3 after that.

As far as I remember there's been no grants specifically for tractors on the forestry or farming sides but with ones like the rural development programme you could get 40% back on forestry equipment if it met a lot of criteria, mostly sustainability and job protection, and that included forwarders and forestry spec tractors in Wales at least.

All the grants of that size are a lot of paperwork (you'll need help) and usually you have to prove it's a viable business and pay up front then claim back.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 08:06, dig-dug-dan said:

Register as a farmer. They get all the money. Yet to meet a poor one!

My brothers farm,  and do a pretty good job of it.  Neither married, they worked out that their profits over the last 25 years divided by the amount of hours they put in then as a salary it would equate to 25p per hour.    Not to many rich farmers around unless they have a more lucrative sideline line a wind farm.

A

8 hours ago, Alycidon said:

My brothers farm,  and do a pretty good job of it.  Neither married, they worked out that their profits over the last 25 years divided by the amount of hours they put in then as a salary it would equate to 25p per hour.    Not to many rich farmers around unless they have a more lucrative sideline line a wind farm.

A

Sorry to hear that, they must be doing something wrong, or have never applied.but round here, they get Grant's for all kinds of stuff, leaving land fallow, not cutting hedges every year, leaving headlands sprayed etc, that's on top of the subsidies.

I have relatives who are arable farmers, last year brought two brand new 150hp tractors, year before brand new disc harrow, year before that, brand new tele handler.

I see it all the time round here, and some buy a piece of kit, and leave it out in a field to rot.

Almost certainly leased, most of the kit on these big farms is.  Combines are so much a season for maybe 3 seasons,  then they are exported.

Grants for set aside ( leaving land fallow) have now ceased. 

Some grants do come in from the EEC yes,  area aid payments etc,  but that is after taking those into consideration.    Wheat is still 80 - 200 pounds a ton depending on supply/demand,   in the late 1960s it was 60 - 80 a ton.  Yields have increased from 1.5 tons per acre in an average year to getting on for double that but fertiliser and other input costs have swallowed all that.